cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of vxvm filesystem from Solaris to Linux

allaboutunix
Level 6

Hi Team,

I have a migration project, in which I have to do migration from Solaris to Linux server, in solaris server it has Vxfs filesystem and we will have to migrate it to Linux server which has VXVM installed over it.Please help to understand the concept and the steps to execute it.

b) In 2nd migration Phase, we have solaris server in which vxfs filesystems are there, which needs to migrate it to Linux LVM filesystem.

Please kindly help to understand its concept and please provide the steps to execute it.

Many thanks in advance...

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Question 1

Look at section 19 in https://origin-download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/9000/DOC9080/en_US/infoscal...

The CDS feature allows you to move between OSs but there is a lot of stuff to check.

Question 2

No feature that I'm aware of, backup and restore.

View solution in original post

frankgfan
   VIP   

Sure you can.

If possible, do a flat file full backup of the original data.

build needed LVMs on Linux server.  Mount up the new file systems. Then restore the data from the last full backup.

prior implementing the data migration, you need to discuss the plan with the application admin to ensure that the data and the applications are cmpetable between two systems.

Thanks Frank, for the solution, I will get back to you on this once i will chk with apps team.

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Question 1

Look at section 19 in https://origin-download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/9000/DOC9080/en_US/infoscal...

The CDS feature allows you to move between OSs but there is a lot of stuff to check.

Question 2

No feature that I'm aware of, backup and restore.

Hi Riaan,

b) In 2nd migration Phase, we have solaris server in which vxfs filesystems are there, which needs to migrate it to Linux LVM filesystem

Thanks for your valuable information, but could you suggest any ways to do the above phase, would restoring from the netbackup will help on this phase.

I meant taking the back up from and netbackup and then restore it to the LINUX LVM set up?

Please suggest.

Hi Riaan,

COuld you please suggest.Thanks..

frankgfan
   VIP   

Sure you can.

If possible, do a flat file full backup of the original data.

build needed LVMs on Linux server.  Mount up the new file systems. Then restore the data from the last full backup.

prior implementing the data migration, you need to discuss the plan with the application admin to ensure that the data and the applications are cmpetable between two systems.

Thanks Riaan,I will check and get back to you.

Thanks Frank, for the solution, I will get back to you on this once i will chk with apps team.