cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with registry replication on SQL 2K5 Cluster

Davidgpv
Level 2
Hello,

I have a problem with the registry replication agent that I have been unable to fix, so I want to see if someone on this forum can give me a little help to solve it.

It goes like this. We are currently implementing an SQL Cluster solution to reduce the number of Servers dedicated to MSSQL  that we are managing today while providing high availability. So we created a four node Cluster using VCS. In the cluster we installed 16 SQL Server 2k5 Ent. Instances (there is enought equipment muscle to handle it) , on each node are four instances online with the posibility that an instance can be taken offline on the current host and then turned online on any of the other servers. We are using 5 different volumes for each instance: System databases, Datafiles, Log Files, Backups and Registry replication.

Because of this configuration we decided that using a letter for each volume would be confusing so we deviced a simple schema: There are 5 local drives:  system databases sized to 1Gb mounted on S: (The size is because of SQL Server installation requirements), a volume for datafiles sized to 61mb, one for logs, one for backups and one for registry replication sized on 61mb. On each drive we create a folder named after its corresponding instance and on said folder we mount the SAN volume created for that instance.

So for an MSSQL instance named SQLInstance1 we got: R:\SQLInstance1, S:\SQLInstance1, T:\SQLInstance1, L:\SQLInstance1 and K:\SQLInstance1. The installation works wonders and you can switch from one node to another without a problem. However, on today's test we found out that changes on the registry made while configuring the SQL Server were not being replicated. First thing we did was to check the configuration.

We have a MountV resource called VOL_RegRepInstance1 with a Mount Path equal to R:\SQLInstance1. Also, we have a RegRep resource called REGREP_SQLInstance1 with MountResName equal to VOL_RegRepInstance1 and ReplicationDirectory equal to \\SQLInstance1\Registry. The agent creates a folder called R:\SQLInstance1\Registry  and generates the replication key files on it. It also generates an empty folder named  R:\SQLInstance1\SQLInstance1\Registry\.  

we changed the ReplicationDirectory to \\Registry  and ffter making a switch to Node2 and the switching back to Node1, we found that the Registry replication agent created two folders: R:\Registry where it put the files with the keys to replicate and and empty folder called R:\SQLInstance1\Registry. We repeated the change several times with the same result. It seems to me that the agent is writing the files using a relative PATH based on the drive letter contained in the MountV resource's MountResName and then will try and read using a relative path from the complete path in that attribute.

Does anyone knows what can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Davidgpv
Level 2
Finally my partner found the solution. First of all the Keys were listed during configuration using a double backslash and while it didn't show an error because of that it seems that it was keeping the agent from actually reading the data.

The second thing was the registry key's security. On SQL 2k5 the setup creates a number of groups that get all the security permissions on filesystem, registry keys and inside the SQL Server (sysadmin). We changed the permissions on filesystem and SQL Server but forgot to update the registry. Once both task were done the problem got solved.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Davidgpv
Level 2
Finally my partner found the solution. First of all the Keys were listed during configuration using a double backslash and while it didn't show an error because of that it seems that it was keeping the agent from actually reading the data.

The second thing was the registry key's security. On SQL 2k5 the setup creates a number of groups that get all the security permissions on filesystem, registry keys and inside the SQL Server (sysadmin). We changed the permissions on filesystem and SQL Server but forgot to update the registry. Once both task were done the problem got solved.

Thanks

martin2176
Level 4
can you elaborate ont he security key issues..
My setup will be very similar to what you have and so was eager to know the issues you had

thanks