RE: Can notifier process be started where ClusterService is not ONLINE

John_Lem
Level 3
Hi:

I have a question about the notifier process and
the ClusterService resource group.

From what I understand,
the ClusterService resource group
can only be in the ONLINE state on only one box at any time.
And consequently, the notifier process (controlled by VCS)
can only run on that same box at the same time.

Does this mean that a notifier process can be started
externally (i.e., started by a non VCS process)
on any other box in the cluster
as long as the ClusterService resource group is not
in the ONLINE state on the same box?

Thanks
John
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The notifier process on the non-active cluster node will continue to be monitored by VCS, to ensure that it's offline (as it's supposed to be). If you start it externally, the resource will fault.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
notifier can be started manually. Check out the man page for notifier. You should put it in the Cluster Service Group because it is a special purpose group and will survive when onthers would stop, for example it cannot be autodisabled and will failover even when you perform an hastop -local on the system where CSG is running. If you do not configure the notifier in a service group, you could start it manually, I have no idea why you would want to do that because it would not be highly available. Since "had" maintains replicated message queues, any message received by had will be sent to the notifier regardless of which system is running notifier. Only one notifier can run per system (it will fault if another copy has already connected to the port on had). Any reason you do not want it in CSG?