cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF, SFHA, SFCFS, SFCFS RAC > Virtual Environments

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Does anyone one have any NEW information about support for the SF stack in virtual environments, vSphere, XEN, etc. I've some reference to XEN in the latest 5.0 MP4 release, but nothing about vSphere. Except for the tech note 289033 which is from March 2009..............

Why can't we have a SCL for the SF Unix/Linux stack, its driving me nuts having to go look in every release note to see what it supports and what not :(

289033 support attached in the png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

S__Hill
Level 2
Employee Certified

Hi Riaan,

I suspect that you could run SFCFS or SFRAC in vSphere provided the storage is fully SCSI-3 compliant and that each virtual node resides on a separate physical chassis.  That way, VxFEN would not be confused writing keys to devices presented to the same physical host.

If you are interested in pursuing this further for an official answer, I would recommend either opening a case with Technical Support or contacting your Sales Representative to initiate an evaluation or proof of concept.

Cheers,

sid

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Riaan,

Please take a look at the attached documents.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent, thanks!!

One more question though, can you setup fencing? Or more to the point, can use SFRAC or SFCFS in vSphere? I've seen that vSphere has SCSI-3 support as its now supported to run Windows 2008 cluster. I'm not sure but I believe SPC-3 is an extension or something of SCSI-3, because SPC-2 is also part of SCSI-3 (or something to that effect)

Questions is, do we require SPC-3 and not just SCSI-3 when we fence?

Any clarification would be appreciated :)

S__Hill
Level 2
Employee Certified

Hi Riaan,

I suspect that you could run SFCFS or SFRAC in vSphere provided the storage is fully SCSI-3 compliant and that each virtual node resides on a separate physical chassis.  That way, VxFEN would not be confused writing keys to devices presented to the same physical host.

If you are interested in pursuing this further for an official answer, I would recommend either opening a case with Technical Support or contacting your Sales Representative to initiate an evaluation or proof of concept.

Cheers,

sid