cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFHA "In-Family" Upgrade ?

Haniwa
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

While discussing options to upgrade SFHA cluster (standard, phased, rolling), the topic of  "In-Family" upgrade was mentioned. I have never heard of this, so want to ask if anyone has experience with In-Family upgrade ?

The concept is that In-Family upgrades are very minor, so the protocol versions remain compatible before and after upgrade, allowing a mix of pre and post upgrade nodes to join the same cluster. Thus eliminating the need for more complex "phased" and "rolling" upgrades documented in the SFHA Installation Guide.

In this particular case the existing version is SFHA 5.1 SP1 RP1 and the upgrade version will be SFHA 5.1 SP1 RP4. Would that be considered an In-Family upgrade, or would the protocol versions be incompatible and therefore require a phased or rolling upgrade ?

Thank You,

Ken W

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Haniwa
Level 4

Conclusion: In-family upgrade is a myth.

The person that I talked to was assuming without knowing. With the help of Veritas TS, we ended up testing SFHA 5.1 SP1 RP1 to RP4 without phased/rolling methods, and found that the upgraded RP4 node could not join the existing RP1 cluster.

Join Error:

2015/05/06 20:14:16 VCS WARNING V-16-1-10067 Local node leaving cluster before joining as engine versions differ. Local engine version: 0x5010a28; Current cluster version: 0x5010a00

FYI, here are some commands to display protocol version of various components of the cluster:

---- VxVM protocol ----
vxdctl list
vxdctl protocolversion
vxdctl support

---- LLT protocol ----
lltstat -c		configuration parameters
lltconfig -V		protocol current and maximum
lltconfig -M		driver version
lltconfig -W		protocol supported and current

---- GAB protocol ----
gabconfig -v		driver version + protocol
gabconfig -W		protocol range and current

---- HAD protocol ----
haclus -value EngineVersion
hasys -display attribute EngineVersion
vxassist version
engine_A.log  (for Had startup message)

Ken W

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

starflyfly
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,Ken

Where did you   get "In-Family upgrade"? I also have not heard about that before.

I am afraid something  wrong.

Regards

Haniwa
Level 4

Conclusion: In-family upgrade is a myth.

The person that I talked to was assuming without knowing. With the help of Veritas TS, we ended up testing SFHA 5.1 SP1 RP1 to RP4 without phased/rolling methods, and found that the upgraded RP4 node could not join the existing RP1 cluster.

Join Error:

2015/05/06 20:14:16 VCS WARNING V-16-1-10067 Local node leaving cluster before joining as engine versions differ. Local engine version: 0x5010a28; Current cluster version: 0x5010a00

FYI, here are some commands to display protocol version of various components of the cluster:

---- VxVM protocol ----
vxdctl list
vxdctl protocolversion
vxdctl support

---- LLT protocol ----
lltstat -c		configuration parameters
lltconfig -V		protocol current and maximum
lltconfig -M		driver version
lltconfig -W		protocol supported and current

---- GAB protocol ----
gabconfig -v		driver version + protocol
gabconfig -W		protocol range and current