cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFWHA 6.0 - cluster some x-app

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have been able in the past to cluster xeyes and xclock as part of a demo.

I would like to do the same on a Windows cluster but don't know how to make it run on the console.

I can see xeyes running in Task Manager but nothing appears on the console...

Any ideas, anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Marianne,

Our training department is having a similar issue with the wineye.exe program that they use.  I'm not sure if they have come up with another test app yet or not.

Here is what I did with a process agent and notepad.exe.

group test (
    SystemList = { SERVER1 = 0, SERVER2 = 1 }
    )

Process Notepad_Process (
        Critical = 0
        StartProgram = "notepad.exe"
        InteractWithDesktop = 1
        )

// resource dependency tree
    //
    //    group test
    //    {
    //    Process Notepad_Process
    //    }

With Windows 2008 R2, I get a message on the console to display the interact with desktop process.  This is a little different than it was in earlier versions of Windows but it seems to still work.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jstucki
Level 4

X Windows apps (typically in UNIX environments) can only be displayed on systems where an X Windows Server is running.  If you have xeyes and xclock available on a Windows system, then you probably have some installation of UNIX tools on the Windows system.   Cygwin/X, Xming, and others can provide an X Windows Server to run on a Windows system, which will allow for displaying of X Windows apps.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Marianne,

Our training department is having a similar issue with the wineye.exe program that they use.  I'm not sure if they have come up with another test app yet or not.

Here is what I did with a process agent and notepad.exe.

group test (
    SystemList = { SERVER1 = 0, SERVER2 = 1 }
    )

Process Notepad_Process (
        Critical = 0
        StartProgram = "notepad.exe"
        InteractWithDesktop = 1
        )

// resource dependency tree
    //
    //    group test
    //    {
    //    Process Notepad_Process
    //    }

With Windows 2008 R2, I get a message on the console to display the interact with desktop process.  This is a little different than it was in earlier versions of Windows but it seems to still work.

Thanks,

Wally

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks for suggestions gents!

The X Server seems to be my problem - I just have the one xeyes.exe binary that I downloaded from 'somewhere'.

Wally's Notepad seems to be the quick solution right now. (File server or FileOnOff in a demo is s-o-o-o boring!)

Will give xeyes another try some other time and also follow up with my contact in Education whe he is back from holiday.

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks Wally! Demo went well.

Will try xeyes some other time... smiley