cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SORT Site Information for VCS Apache Agent - Solaris SPARC

jstucki
Level 4

If I go to the SORT.symantec.com website, and look for the VCS Apache Agent for Solaris SPARC....

Downloads -> High Availability Agents -> <Application Agent><Apache><VCS><Solaris><SPARC> ....

I am directed to the Agent Pack 2Q2011.  I dug through this Agent Pack, and found that the latest Apache Agent in this Agent Pack is version 4.1 (2006).  The path in the Agent Pack is:   solaris/sol_sparc/vcs/application/apache_agent/4.1/4.1_agent

QUESTION:  Should the SORT site be updated to direct the customer to the BARG document, rather than point to the Agent Pack?

After doing a Google search, I realized that the Apache Agent was included in the Bundled Agents, which are included with the installation of VCS 5.1 SP1 on Solaris SPARC.

Thanks, -John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

The Apache agent documentation is now available on SORT. The documentation link points to the VCS bundled agents guide.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I totally agree with you John, I did exactly the same thing about 6 months ago - couldn't understand why I couldn't find Apache agent on SORT and then realised this was because it is now Bundled.

Mike

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

The bundled agents for VCS information is now published on SORT agents portal at: https://sort.symantec.com/agents . You can find Apache listed under the "Veritas Bundled Service and Application agent"subsection of the "Bundled Agents".

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This doesn't really help.  If you are a customer looking to see if there is an Apache agent for VCS, then from SORT it apears there is only an agent for Apache for ApplicationHA on Linux.  In particular if you click on "Agent Type" of "All" which should include Bundled agents, Apache is shown as below

Apache (1.3, 2.0, and 2.2. Also supports the IBM HTTP Server 7.x)     Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5:  
ApplicationHA 5.1SP2 x86-64      

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11:  
ApplicationHA 5.1SP2 x86-64      

If you look at IBM WebSphere Application Server, then this also shows as only being supported in ApplicationHA on Linux and this is NOT a bundled agent so I presume there is no agent for VCS for IBM WebSphere Application Server, but there is for Apache.  The fact that Apache is a bundled agent appears to be an arbritruary decision taken by Symantec, not a logical differentiation of Apache from other applications.

I have started an "Idea" for this so people can discuss how this should be shown on SORT: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/sort-site-information-bundled-vcs-agents

Mike

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

Mike, yes agree .. those were very valid concerns for Apache. We will address it with the next refresh of agents data on SORT.

jstucki
Level 4

Mike, Thanks for your help in making this point clear to those who can fix it.  As you mentioned, SORT is presently confusing customers about the Apache Agent (and possibly some other agents), by pointing them to the wrong information.  They just need to update the information in SORT, so that the customer is directed to the updated information, whether it be the BARG Guide or elsewhere.

-John

ScottK
Level 5
Employee

Mike,

The Agent Pack quarterly update is now on SORT

https://sort.symantec.com/agents

When you select Apache, the VCS and Application HA agents show for the 5 supported platforms. Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Scott

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

Please note, the bundled agents guide link is still not setup for Apache. We are working on it.

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

The Apache agent documentation is now available on SORT. The documentation link points to the VCS bundled agents guide.