cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Service Group can't bring online on the second node

Jimb2k
Level 4

Hello everyone,

Please I need a solution about my SQL cluster in test environnement.

I have issues with the service group that I can"t bring it online on the second node.

But in the first node its can be online without errors.

For testing the intergity of the DATA on the ISCSI partition, I deleted the service group.

And i mounted the partition on the second node, I recrated the service group, I can bring it online easily.

When I switch it to the other node (first node on the cluster), same error, its can't be bring in online.

Below some error on the event viewer about this problem :

Error2.jpgError1.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure I fully understand what is happening at disk level.

Can you confirm that it is the same diskgroup and volume where you installed on node 1 that was deported from node 1 and then imported on node 2 followed by identical install?

Can you now with VCS stopped deport and import the diskgroup between the nodes and confirm that the same data/instance is seen by each node when imported?

I had a similar issue when I configured a SQL cluster the first time.

Domain user with local admin rights was used for installation, but SQL service account (starting the services) did not have local admin rights.

This TN helped me solve the issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46264

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

For testing the intergity of the DATA on the ISCSI partition, I deleted the service group.

Not sure why you did this? 

Once you have installed the SQL instance on both nodes, check that logon account for Services are correct.
Also verify that SQL user has local admin rights on both nodes.

The Service Group should only be created once as per instructions in the manual: 
Chapter 6. Configuring the SQL Server service group

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Jimb2k,

The message seems to be that the media is write protected.  This would point to what Marianne is getting at in regards to the startup account for SQL services on both systems does not seem to be the same and the NTFS permissions may not be right to allow the change.  Check if the SQL services use the same account on both nodes and that the account is not a local user account.

In addtion to what Marianne mentioned, do you know if the installs on the 2 nodes are the same? 

What I mean is did you install the SQL binaries (to local storage) and the SQL database (Master.mdb to shared storage) to the same locations on both nodes?  Depending on the version of SQL being used, the VCS SQL configuration wizard will check this and be able to correct some differences in master.mdb path.  But that does not work for all versions of SQL that is supported.

Also the same SQL instance needs to be installed on both systems.  This should not be a problem as the configuration wizard will check this.

Thank you,

Wally

Jimb2k
Level 4

Thank you Marianne & Wally_Heim for your returns.

I agree with you about the the delete of the service group.

I can confirm that the configuration is the same in the both nodes and the account have all rights (Domain admin with local admin rights on both nodes)

I delete the service group just to confirm that the configuration is the same.

Cause I make the SAN partition available on the seconde node, and when configuring the new service group, its can be bring online easily but cannot do the same on the fisrt with the same error messages.

Thank you again.

Marianne

Not sure I fully understand what is happening at disk level.

Can you confirm that it is the same diskgroup and volume where you installed on node 1 that was deported from node 1 and then imported on node 2 followed by identical install?

Can you now with VCS stopped deport and import the diskgroup between the nodes and confirm that the same data/instance is seen by each node when imported?

I had a similar issue when I configured a SQL cluster the first time.

Domain user with local admin rights was used for installation, but SQL service account (starting the services) did not have local admin rights.

This TN helped me solve the issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46264

Jimb2k
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

You are a such of genious.

Thank you for your support, this work as supposed to be.

The tip is that the local sql groups must be added to SQL DATA folders on both nodes locally.

It's work for SQL 2008 R2, and I can get the service group up on both nodes.

Thank you again and I wish you all the luck on the world.