cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequencing changes

Art_the_PM
Level 2

I don't need a tech solution as much as I need to check my own sanity...

Working with a client who wants 2 distinct tasks accomplished. One is to replace two standalone DB servers under ZFS with a Veritas Cluster (active-active), and then do some upgrades to the DBs. I am assuming the smartest and safest way to pull this off is to configure the new cluster and THEN worry about the software/application/DB upgrades.

Am I sane here, or have I missed something critical in my assumption?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Art,

Having come from consulting (now with PM at Symantec) I am very familiar with the line "Well, how soon can we have all this up and running?" :o)  What you are going to want to ask them flat out is what their preference is relative to Storage Management.  Ideally they will say we want to go with the full CFSHA stack and the issue is moot.  If they are looking to be convinced of one v.s. the other (i.e. SF vs. ZFS) then you will have to engage with your technical team to explain to them the Apples to Oranges comparison of the two and why SFHA is a much better option. 

High level, ZFS is a specific function storage management tool that is exclusive to the Solaris platform. It's published performace characteristics can be brought into question as ZFS takes caching to entirely new level.  In many instances commits from the file system are prematurely aknowledged and aren't actually applied to disk for an extended period. This can in result in data corruption if a system where to reboot or crash during this window. ZFS is (IMHO) designed as an enabler for the Oracle/SUN jbod arrrays and not relevant for enterprise class storage.

CFSHA is a complete solution offering features such as database accelerators,a journaling cluster file system that can outperform ZFS up to 4X for OLTP databases, cross platform data migration, Dynamic Multipathing with the largest HW compatibility list in the industry, built in Applications clustering agents, instantaneous failure detection along with a myriad of other value points.

Hope this helps,

Joe D

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Art,

Can you elloborate a little more on the environment in question?  You have stated that the Customer is currently using ZFS but what is not clear is whether they want to leverage ZFS as part of the new VCS cluster (ZPool Agent)?  Are they interested in using Stand Alone VCS or the complete package SFHA/CFSHA? 

Thanks,

Joe D

Art_the_PM
Level 2

Joe,

They are moving from standalone servers to the active-active configuration (2 nodes total). From a single diagram in the SOW, the only indication of HA is a single statement over a line connecting the two servers that says "Highly available." 

I know it's only a partial answer, but until I actually get with the client tomorrow, I won't have a better grasp of the environment. This is a new project for me, and I can see the question coming, "Well, how soon can we have all this up and running?" lol

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Art,

Having come from consulting (now with PM at Symantec) I am very familiar with the line "Well, how soon can we have all this up and running?" :o)  What you are going to want to ask them flat out is what their preference is relative to Storage Management.  Ideally they will say we want to go with the full CFSHA stack and the issue is moot.  If they are looking to be convinced of one v.s. the other (i.e. SF vs. ZFS) then you will have to engage with your technical team to explain to them the Apples to Oranges comparison of the two and why SFHA is a much better option. 

High level, ZFS is a specific function storage management tool that is exclusive to the Solaris platform. It's published performace characteristics can be brought into question as ZFS takes caching to entirely new level.  In many instances commits from the file system are prematurely aknowledged and aren't actually applied to disk for an extended period. This can in result in data corruption if a system where to reboot or crash during this window. ZFS is (IMHO) designed as an enabler for the Oracle/SUN jbod arrrays and not relevant for enterprise class storage.

CFSHA is a complete solution offering features such as database accelerators,a journaling cluster file system that can outperform ZFS up to 4X for OLTP databases, cross platform data migration, Dynamic Multipathing with the largest HW compatibility list in the industry, built in Applications clustering agents, instantaneous failure detection along with a myriad of other value points.

Hope this helps,

Joe D

Art_the_PM
Level 2

Joe,

Thank. This is extremely helpful. While not specified, CFSHA looks like the right way to go with the project to meet the requirement.

Art

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You are welcome Art. Let's us know if you need any further info. We're glad to help.