cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting a two node file Cluster on Windows 2008

danand
Level 3

Hi ,

I am planning to migrate my existing two node file Server Cluster configuration from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 .

Need to know What steps I should take on Windows 2008 nodes before doing the cutover.

Regards

Deepak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Deepak,

Here is a tech note that we have created to describe this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144432

I'm sure Microsoft also has something on their side since this is a change in the Windows 2008 OS with regards to Windows Failover Clusters.  However, I don't have any links to Microsoft's information at this time.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is your current SFW/HA version?

Current MultiPathing config?

Migrating to new hardware (servers) or just upgrading existing servers?

danand
Level 3

Hello Marianne ,

Thanks for the reply.....

My current SFW/HA version is 5.1

We are using Hp MPIO with Adaptive Load Balancing set.

We will be migrating to new hardware with new OS i,e Windows 2008 , old OS is Windows 2003

Regards

Deepak

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Deepak

Your query seems to be the same as this one a couple of months ago?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-migrate-running-cluster-existing-two-node

Is there something about the advice given in that post that is unclear?

danand
Level 3

Hello Marianne ,

Thanks for the quick response....

I am aware of that query , I only want to know if there any extra setting /Tweaking that we need to do in Windows 2008 servers so that we don't face any issue during the time of Cutover...

For eg : By default Computer Browser servers is not enable on Windows 2008 , do we need to enable this service for proper functioning of File Cluster and similarly by default File Service Role is not enabled on Windows 2008 do we also need to enable that role before we do a cutover.

Looking for similar proactive approach....

Thanks

Regrads

Deepak Anand

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Deepak,

There are some major differences with Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 when it comes to Fileshare clusters.

With Windows 2003, Fileshares are open to both physical name/IP address and virtual server name/IP address to access them.

With Windows 2008, Fileshare are bound to the virutal server name and can only be access by that name (by default with SFW-HA.) 

With a Windows 2008 Failover Cluster (MSCS) this behavior cannot be changed.  But with SFW-HA cluster we give you the option to turn off this behavior so that the cluster can have Widnows 2003 Fileshare functionality if needed.

To be able to disable this funtionality in SFW-HA you should be running 5.1 SP2 or higher.  This will give you the ability to enable and disable this functionaly.  Or as a workaround in earlier versions in the Fileshare resource, clear out the LanmanResName attribute.

Thanks,

Wally

danand
Level 3

Hi Wally ,

Thanks for quick response , do we have any document which explain this in detail.

Regards

Deepak Anand

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Deepak,

Here is a tech note that we have created to describe this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144432

I'm sure Microsoft also has something on their side since this is a change in the Windows 2008 OS with regards to Windows Failover Clusters.  However, I don't have any links to Microsoft's information at this time.

Thanks,

Wally