cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a 2 node cluster

swapneel
Not applicable

Hi

Iam new to VCS .I have installed VCS Trial Version  6.0 on my 2 rhel05 Virtual Machine.

VCS is installed and running on both the Machine.But iam not able to create a 2 node cluster out of it.

Can any one help me out ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To create a 2 node cluster, you should run vcsinstall -configure on one of the nodes and have passwordless ssh between the 2 servers (or rsh and use -rsh flag on vcsinstall).  Have you tried this and if so what error did you get. 

Your problem maybe you have not setup heartbeats in VMWare - you should create at least one, ideally 2 private (Host-only) networks in VMware for the heartbeats.

If vcsinstall in failing, you can install manually instead - on both nodes:

Create /etc/llthosts containing:

0 nodename1 
1 nodename2

/etc/llttab containing:

set-node /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname
set-cluster ClusterId
link link1 NicDevice1 - ether - -
link link2 NicDevice2 - ether - -
 /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname containing:
 nodename

/etc/gabtab containing:
 /sbin/gabconfig -c -n 2

1. Check contents of /etc/sysconfig/vcs for line that says ONENODE= to make sure this says no
  2. You may need to copy types.cf file from /etc/VRTSvcs/conf to /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config
  3. Create a main.cf file on one of the nodes in /etc/VRTSvcs/conf to /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config as follows:
    include "types.cf"
    cluster cluster_name (
    )
    system nodename1 ()
    system nodename2 ()

4. Start LLT - I think path is - /etc/rc2.d/S70llt start (both nodes)
  5. Start GAB - I think path is - /etc/rc2.d/S92gab start
  6. Start VCS on the node you created main.cf - /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hastart
  7. Start VCS on the other node /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hastart
  8. Run  /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hauser -add admin -priv Administrator

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

arangari
Level 5

read the install guide... did you create appropriate interconnect for LLT links in the virtual m/c?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

VCS 6.0 for Linux documentation can be found here: https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/vcs/6.0/Linux/ProductGuides/

Veritas Cluster Server Installation Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5271

Please go through all the requirements, the installation and initial configuration steps and then let us know if you need assistance with anything specific.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To create a 2 node cluster, you should run vcsinstall -configure on one of the nodes and have passwordless ssh between the 2 servers (or rsh and use -rsh flag on vcsinstall).  Have you tried this and if so what error did you get. 

Your problem maybe you have not setup heartbeats in VMWare - you should create at least one, ideally 2 private (Host-only) networks in VMware for the heartbeats.

If vcsinstall in failing, you can install manually instead - on both nodes:

Create /etc/llthosts containing:

0 nodename1 
1 nodename2

/etc/llttab containing:

set-node /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname
set-cluster ClusterId
link link1 NicDevice1 - ether - -
link link2 NicDevice2 - ether - -
 /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname containing:
 nodename

/etc/gabtab containing:
 /sbin/gabconfig -c -n 2

1. Check contents of /etc/sysconfig/vcs for line that says ONENODE= to make sure this says no
  2. You may need to copy types.cf file from /etc/VRTSvcs/conf to /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config
  3. Create a main.cf file on one of the nodes in /etc/VRTSvcs/conf to /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config as follows:
    include "types.cf"
    cluster cluster_name (
    )
    system nodename1 ()
    system nodename2 ()

4. Start LLT - I think path is - /etc/rc2.d/S70llt start (both nodes)
  5. Start GAB - I think path is - /etc/rc2.d/S92gab start
  6. Start VCS on the node you created main.cf - /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hastart
  7. Start VCS on the other node /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hastart
  8. Run  /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hauser -add admin -priv Administrator

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Agreed with steps mentioned above however did you  keep the shared storage between two virtual machines ?

If yes, then only you would be able to simulate the real cluster environment otherwise you will need to create service groups without diskgroups & volumes.

You can read through & see if you can install virutal machine for netapp filer which will allow you to create shared luns & also test IOFencing

By they way, going back to original question, what steps you tried ? was there any error when you say you were unable to create cluster ?

Gaurav

GokulaGiridaran
Level 2

I doubt if you can do this using a VM unless you have an iScsi 

sborjigin
Level 2

I'm trying to set up a vm-vm 2-node cluster in Oracle VM environment using Oracle Sparc T3-2 server.

The two VMs (LDoms) are on the same physical server. Both nodes have SFHA installed, and ready for cluster configuration. But before I can do the cluster configurations, I have the following questions need to be answered:

1. How to set up private heartbeat links in this case?

2. The shared disk would be a netapp volume. Will it work?

3. Will I/O fencing work in this case? The fencing disks would be netapp volumes in small sizes that were presented to VMs.

Can anyone shed some lights on this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.