cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of Heartbeat Link

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

I try to find out in the document. But cannot find about the speed requirement of the VCS heartbeat link.

Can I use only 10/100 Mbps switch for the connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi pgm10s,

The VCS heartbeats have very low bandwidth requirements.  10 mbps heartbeats will be OK. The major issue is that you have 2 or more independant heartbeats for VCS to use.

FYI - I've seen customer in the past run many clusters on 10 mbps heartbeat links.  Granited it is getting uncommon to see 10 mbps NICs any more.  Most customers are running 100 mbps heartbeat nics.  However, I've also seen them run 1 gbps heartbeat links. 

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi pgm10s,

The VCS heartbeats have very low bandwidth requirements.  10 mbps heartbeats will be OK. The major issue is that you have 2 or more independant heartbeats for VCS to use.

FYI - I've seen customer in the past run many clusters on 10 mbps heartbeat links.  Granited it is getting uncommon to see 10 mbps NICs any more.  Most customers are running 100 mbps heartbeat nics.  However, I've also seen them run 1 gbps heartbeat links. 

Thank you,

Wally

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Thank you so much.

I think to use 2  Fast 100 Mbps Switch which are cheaper than Gigbit Switch for 2 private links. And use one direct LAN cable.