cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Foundation HA for Windows 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If you look at http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/release_details.jsp?pid=50276 it says SFWHA 5.0 was released on 2nd October 2006. Obviously this isn't right, but I was wondering if we'll see SFWHA 5 with the same feature set as VCS and SF for UNIX platforms.
15 REPLIES 15

Paul_Vasquez
Level 4
Hywell,

That may have been a beta notification but the final GA date is today. As far as feature sets go, we have strived to offer parity where it made sense for the customer base.

Thanks,

Paul

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I can see from the Getting Started Guide (one of the few documents that has appeared today) that 5.0 uses the new licensing portal.
I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well it took a while for the documentation to appear, but the new wizards and configurators look good. I've been meaning to log an enhancement request for a best-practice analyser, similar to what Microsoft do for Exchange and ISA. Looks like Symantec beat me to it!
Am I the only person on here who uses SFWHA?

Andreas_Lundgre
Level 3
I just want to say that I also want to know the same thing... :) It's amazing how hard it is to get correct information on VSFWHA 5...

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
It is not that difficult if you know who to ask. Paul Vasquez, who answered earlier, is the real expert. He is also the product manager.

Andreas_Lundgre
Level 3
Mmm, that may be the case - but I�m still looking for information as to if the new release handles IBM DB2 with built-in agents or not. Cannot find the information on the web site, or via Swedish product support, but the US product sales support says that it might be supported - how hard can it be to have a list of features?

EVERYTHING I ever wanted is supported in the Unix version of VCS, but almost nothing (officially) in the Windows version :\

I just think the product seems a bit "left behind" its bigger brother, which I think is a bit sad, since those parts that are there works very well.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Andreas, to see what agents are included you need to look at the Bundled Agents Reference Guide. It's at http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_HA_for_Windows/286767.pdf
Unsurprisingly DB2 isn't in the list of bundled agents. It is available as an extra-cost option, according to one of the documents I saw somewhere. I can't find an Agent Reference Guide for it though.

Andreas_Lundgre
Level 3
Yep, I've seen that PDF - it's very handy if one wants to build an own agent (and that's what was available for DB2 in version 4.3 - a customized cosultant-hacked agent built upon these building blocks.

In 5.0 I'd have hoped that DB2 support (which is free, as usual, when running MSCS and DB2...) would have at least gotten the status of a purchaseable agent - but I cannot find it on the web, it's not in the product (I downloaded a demo since Symantec says I have to wait a few more weeks (!) for my own license key that I have already payed for in my support contract), and no-one at Symantec seems to understand why anyone would want an IBM DB2 agent in Windows. And of course - it's already in the Unix product and has been for quite some time from what I understand.

This http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Sales_Docs/High_Availability/agent_list_partner.xls document also seems to show that DB2 is not interesting for Windows.

Ah well - guess I'll just have to give up and run MSCS for the DB2 application :(

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
You can use the generic application or service agents. If you can write the perl scripts you can do your own. Generally we build agents based on demand. We also try to encourage vendors to provide their own since they understand the app better than anyone. Ask IBM why they don't supply one.

Andreas_Lundgre
Level 3
I've actually tried talking to IBM regarding non-available clustering of WebSphere MQ for Windows, but it's like talking to a wall (very, very big blue wall)...

Maybe I should give it a new shot for the DB2 server.

Thank you all for your responses.

/A

Drew_Tipton
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified
I think we have discussed a DB2 agent in the past, but we haven't gotten anywhere with it so far... if you have a big enough business case, bring it to Paul and we'll see what we can do... you can even get additional SE resources involved if it's big enough! :)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Our upgrade notification came through yesterday. Currently downloading the installation from FileConnect. 950MB! 64 bit version is even bigger.
I'm also downloading the agent pack, though I'm not sure what that is. In previous versions all the agents have been in with the installation files. Maybe i'm just duplicating files by doing this.

I noticed that the download versions have the version as 5.0.00.R1, with a date of 22nd Feb. I wonder if that is the updated version mentioned in another thread?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Is that the Agent Pack for 4Q2006?

IT has all the additional agents previously listed as "Enterprise" agents for all OSes we spport. For Windows you should see some weblog, websphere, sap,siebel and the VPRO framework for building custom agents.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well it was all going ok until I got to the licensing portal. Followed the instructions, but the instructions don't match up with the PDF.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Can't help you there. I am an instructor, we get a list of temp licenses and I have NEVER been to the license portal.