Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

SFHA/DR = 6.1

OS = RHEL 6.3

Primary Site nodes = two

DR Site nodes = one

Query

We need to shift primary site nodes to a new location without SAN Storage. At new premises a new SAN will be attached with those nodes. We have the following action plan for this activity. Add your suggestion(s) to make this activity more mature.

- Switchover the application ServiceGroup to DR Site.

- Ensure both nodes at new primary site are:

• Placed properly
  • Up and running
  • Heartbeats are connected
  • New SAN is connected with both nodes

- Configure new SAN in VERITAS Cluster/SF

- Adjust Disk group and Mount resources under ServiceGroup of Primary Site

- Ensure Primary and DR Site connectivity and bandwidth

- Configure Replication i.e.

• Remove RVG from DR site
  • Run createpri and addsec command from DR                  (DR Site=Primary and Primary Site=Secondary)
  •  Start Replication from DR(Active) to Primary
  • Backup application
  • When Replication synced switchover to Primary Site        (Primary Site=Primary and DR Site=Secondary)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just to add, I don't think you can disable an online resource, so probably better to freeze the replication group.

Also you may want to disable VCS on nodes being transported before you take them down, so when you bring them up at the new site, VCS will not start and complain about the missing storage.  Then you can re-enable VCS once you have configured all the new storage.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You will need to disable RVG resource when you delete RVG.

Are you using an RDC or GCO and is the new site in the same subnet as the existing - if not then you will have to change IP addresses in VCS.

Can you confirm you are transporting nodes at old site to new site, so you don't need to build any new nodes and it is only the SAN which is new.

The only thing that should change on the storage is maybe the size and number of LUNs, but the diskgroup, volumes and mount points should remain the same, so why the need to adjust Disk group and Mount resources?

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Can you confirm you are transporting nodes at old site to new site, so you don't need to build any new nodes and it is only the SAN which is new.

Correct. We only transporting the nodes but not the SAN.

The only thing that should change on the storage is maybe the size and number of LUNs, but the diskgroup, volumes and mount points should remain the same, so why the need to adjust Disk group and Mount resources?

Nothing is same. Each and every thing will be same. (I think the step was wrong which I mentioned)

Are you using an RDC or GCO and is the new site in the same subnet as the existing - if not then you will have to change IP addresses in VCS.

the new site in the same subnet as the existing.

You will need to disable RVG resource when you delete RVG.

Sure

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just to add, I don't think you can disable an online resource, so probably better to freeze the replication group.

Also you may want to disable VCS on nodes being transported before you take them down, so when you bring them up at the new site, VCS will not start and complain about the missing storage.  Then you can re-enable VCS once you have configured all the new storage.

Mike