System heavily Loaded

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

HA Nodes = 2

Product = SFHA

Version 6.1.1

ERROR / WARNING

June 12 18:30:00 NODE4 kernel: LLT INFO V-14-1-10035 timer not called for 3235 ticks

June 12 18:30:00 NODE4 kernel: LLT INFO V-14-1-10205 link 0 (eth3) node 0 in trouble

Understanding

As per my understanding either HA node is heavily loaded or Network has delays. Furthermore HostMonitor log under /var/VRTSvcs/log shows high memory alerts like below

2016/xx/xx 18:30:01 VCS INFO V-16-10061-14064 HostMonitor:VCShm:monitor:Updating System attribute with Mem usage = 99%.

It seems evident that due to lack of hardware resources the above mentioned errors/warning occuring.

Contradiction

In parallel we already setup a crontab job which is redirecting SAR and free -m command output in a text file.on every couple of minutes, which doesnot show any hike in CPU & MEMORY. Means SAR result shows almost 95% idle and free -m command shows 80% free out of 10GB memory.

Query

- Could not understand why errors/warning happening if system resources are almost idle.

- Why HostMonitor log showing wrong result. As HostMonitor shows high memory and free -m command shows enough available memory.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You never responded over here:

From where VCS Host Monitor logs picks result ? 

Have you tried the following as per the 1st URL in my post?

Linux
Compare the usage reported by HostMonitor with the info found in the /proc/stat file

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks for highlighting my earlier post and suggested article on that post.

My question is remain same. Why free -m command output is not similar with HostMonitor log. HostMonitor keep showing memory crunch. However free -m command output shows plenty of memory under+/-  cache/buffer > free column

OR, How can we extract free memory from /proc/stat ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The answer is the same.

Compare the usage reported by HostMonitor with the info found in the /proc/stat file 

If you feel that this is not the correct way to determine system resources, get in touch with Support and Product Management.

Zahid_Haseeb

Yes. I am assuming that I need to log a case. Last days research elaborated me that /proc/stat is only for CPU.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/208054-can-we-get-free-ram-proc-stat.html#post...

access.redhat.com/discussions/2533881#comment-1087131