cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Un Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 from Passive Node

GM008
Level 2

We have an Issue on one of our Veritas Cluster sitting on Windows 2008 (6.0), SQL Server 2008R2 was not Installed properly on the passive node, when they tried to upgrade the SQL Service pack from RTM to SP2 there were errors with respect to the location where the binaries were Installed on the passive Node.

Does anyone know what steps I need to take to Un-Install SQL Server 2008R2 from the passive node and then re-install with the right configuration.

Is it safe for me to use the Config.ini file from Node 1 to install SQL on Node 2?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Donald_Cook
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Dealing with SQL in the SFW-HA cluster will add a couple extra steps.
You can do the following because your primary node works:

1. In VCS remove the passive node from the available node list for the SQL service group.
    (In VCS...Click the service group on the left -> Click Tools at the top -> "System Manager...")
  2. Uninstall and reinstall SQL, you can install locally on the passive node.
    (Keep the same Instance name)
  3. Run the SFW-HA SQL wizard to add the passive node back to the service group

Notes on step 3:
  1. Run the SFW-HA SQL configuration wizard from the active primary node only (This is critical)
  2. The  SFW-HA SQL wizard uses the paths from the node where the wizard is run
  3. This will change the local paths, on the passive node, to point back to the shared storage
  4. This will also get the passive node’s instance back under the context of the virtual server name

If you run into any problems please feel free to open a support case with us. We are here to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GM008
Level 2

Thanks for your response, as I am have Issues with SQL Server Installed on a Veritas cluster as opposed to a Microsoft Cluster, I am not sure if I can use the steps highlighted in your post as Veritas is different from Microsoft Clustering, Pls correct me if I am wrong

Donald_Cook
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Dealing with SQL in the SFW-HA cluster will add a couple extra steps.
You can do the following because your primary node works:

1. In VCS remove the passive node from the available node list for the SQL service group.
    (In VCS...Click the service group on the left -> Click Tools at the top -> "System Manager...")
  2. Uninstall and reinstall SQL, you can install locally on the passive node.
    (Keep the same Instance name)
  3. Run the SFW-HA SQL wizard to add the passive node back to the service group

Notes on step 3:
  1. Run the SFW-HA SQL configuration wizard from the active primary node only (This is critical)
  2. The  SFW-HA SQL wizard uses the paths from the node where the wizard is run
  3. This will change the local paths, on the passive node, to point back to the shared storage
  4. This will also get the passive node’s instance back under the context of the virtual server name

If you run into any problems please feel free to open a support case with us. We are here to help.