cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot into the OS

Phoenix80
Level 2

When trying to boot Solaris 10 server with veritas volume manager 4.0 I get the following error.

NOTICE: VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-34 added disk array DISKS, datype = Disk

Oct 21 01:16:57 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/power:default: Could not interpret user property.
[ system/power:default failed (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]
LLT INFO V-14-1-10009 LLT Protocol available
GAB INFO V-15-1-20021 GAB available
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7601 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Could not open file /etc/vx/array.info for writing
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-11219 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Failed to open file /etc/vx/disk.info.new
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7601 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Could not open file /etc/vx/array.info for writing
[ system/sysevent:default failed repeatedly (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

Can anyone provide any inight on these errors.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check /var/adm/messages for errors.
It seems that there were errors earlier in the boot process that caused the server to mount root filesystem as read-only.

Any reason why you are still on VxVM 4.0?
Are you aware of the fact that this version reached EOSL some years ago {2011}?

Phoenix80
Level 2

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I am aware that it is EOSL however the environment is for a customer and that's the version they are currently using. I will check the messges files as suggested and will update on the outcome.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Once you have found the issue (could be failed fsck), you can remount the root filesystem as follows:

mount -F ufs -o rw,remount /
or
mount -F ufs -o rw,remount /dev/dsk/c#t#d0s0 /

PS:

If the application that is being clustered is important enough to put an HA system in place, then the customer should not let their maintenance contract expire.
They should upgrade to a supported version ASAP.

No reseller or support partner is under any obligation to support EOSL software versions.