cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot into the OS

Phoenix80
Level 2

When trying to boot Solaris 10 server with veritas volume manager 4.0 I get the following error.

NOTICE: VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-34 added disk array DISKS, datype = Disk

Oct 21 01:16:57 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/power:default: Could not interpret user property.
[ system/power:default failed (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]
LLT INFO V-14-1-10009 LLT Protocol available
GAB INFO V-15-1-20021 GAB available
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7601 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Could not open file /etc/vx/array.info for writing
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-11219 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Failed to open file /etc/vx/disk.info.new
Oct 21 01:17:01 vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7601 vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Could not open file /etc/vx/array.info for writing
[ system/sysevent:default failed repeatedly (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

Can anyone provide any inight on these errors.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check /var/adm/messages for errors.
It seems that there were errors earlier in the boot process that caused the server to mount root filesystem as read-only.

Any reason why you are still on VxVM 4.0?
Are you aware of the fact that this version reached EOSL some years ago {2011}?

Phoenix80
Level 2

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I am aware that it is EOSL however the environment is for a customer and that's the version they are currently using. I will check the messges files as suggested and will update on the outcome.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Once you have found the issue (could be failed fsck), you can remount the root filesystem as follows:

mount -F ufs -o rw,remount /
or
mount -F ufs -o rw,remount /dev/dsk/c#t#d0s0 /

PS:

If the application that is being clustered is important enough to put an HA system in place, then the customer should not let their maintenance contract expire.
They should upgrade to a supported version ASAP.

No reseller or support partner is under any obligation to support EOSL software versions.