cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User home shares

Wolfgang_Kiesli
Level 2
In the next week we plan to migrate our file server to a veritas 4.2 HA windows cluster.

Our users are current being mapped to a username hidden share.

Can this be automatically generated in VCS every time a new user is or should I continue to create it at the file system level?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
It would be possible to script this. However, depending on how many users you have, you may end up with many shares. As each enabled resource has a monitor process on each cluster node, you could end up with many monitor processes.
Would it be possible to have a single user share, and each user having a folder, accessible only to them through NTFS permissions. I think that would be an easier option.

Wolfgang_Kiesli
Level 2
Thanks Hywel,

I think this is the way I will go.

Thanks again

Paul_Vasquez
Level 4
If this is a new cluster, please be aware that v4.3 is the current latest version with a Maintenance Pack surfacing in January.

With the ShareSubdirectories attribute in the FileShare resource, any time a folder is added to the VCS Shared directory, it is automatically shared as well.

Paul

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Thank Paul, I'd forgotten about ShareSubdirectories. One point to note if using ShareSubdirectories is that the online and offline time are longer with a large number of shared folders (though in my experience this isn't a big issue with about 20 shared folders), and that the monitor process uses more resources as it's also checking for new subdirectories to share each MonitorInterval.

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Hywel,

I have a storage replicator issue. I'm replicating user shared data from source to target. During the replicationprocess, the folder is visible. Buy somewhere during the replication period, the target folder becomes hidden (treated as system files).

Your help would be much appreciated.

You can reach me on cedric.nunez@stme.com.