cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS 5.0.1 HPUX. LVM vg import

calderon
Level 2

Hello,

I would like to create a LVM resource in VCS that could import a LVM Volume group under HP-UX.

Indeed, we are creating EVA snapclone that we need to import and to mount to make a backup. It appears that if you do the step manually, you would have to :

1) Present the LUNs to the host

2) vgchgid of the physical LUN

3) vgimport the VG with a VGNAME

4) once, this is done, we could : hares -online LVMCombo_VG -sys SysA and following mounting the filesystem...

Though, on the second node the same manual operation (vgimport) should be done prior onlining the LVMCombo resource...which means that if we are failing over, the VG and subsequent mount points are failing because the VG was not imported!

You would say, OK, do it manually on both VCS node and then you will be able to switch over; the thing is that this is a snapclone made daily and we have to do a vgchgid to avoid to clash with the live VG which is imported on one of the node.

Is there a specific resource type for this?

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't believe there are any agents they deal with clashing IDs for LVM.  Most of the hardware replication agents comes with a "Snap" agent, but this deals with clashing VxVM IDs not LVM.

So POSSIBLY if you used VxVM (which I believe is a free option in HP-ux), then there MAY be a snap agent for EVA clones.  I have never used a Snap agent without replication being in place as they normally snap the secondary replication copy, so I don't know if the snap agents can be used stand-a-lone

Mike

calderon
Level 2

In fact we use LVM because VxVM is free only with limited options. You cannot use mirroring, nor other Lun expansion options that are embedded in LVM. We used to have VxVM but for the migration HP asked us too much money to have all the options we used to have before.

So LVM is the alternate option, but to come back to the resources in VCS, it seems that the LVM VG resource (or LVMCombo) does only a deactivation of the VG and not a vgexport?

Even without making a snapclone, you have to import your VG on all the system on the cluster prior to use a LVMVolumeGroup resource.

R