cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS 5.1 Cluster Service Name Resolution

tanky_belle
Level 2

VCS was set up before my time at my company. The VCS cluster service name has an IP assigned within /etc/hosts but doesn't have an IP configuration in main.cf and the IP isn't plumped to a NIC. Is this best practice? Anyone kno why this is done? Been through the install guide and can't find IP configuration. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

My answers below

ClusterService group in VCS will contain a Cluster Service IP. Our main.cf only has the host names of the nodes and the Cluster Service IP is not listed. Is this okay?

>>> It is ok, this will not impact your current cluster operations in any way (unless you scale to global cluster)

This IP in a simple failover cluster was used to access Web UI of cluster. Is this the same as the Veritas Cluster Server Manager GUI? We currently connect directly to each node. Is this best practice?

>>> There are 4 ways to access a cluster, Web UI (for which the IP is used), Java GUI, CLI or VOM. If this IP is not there, you can not use Web UI. You can still manage the cluster by using Java GUI. Java GUI can be installed on any laptop or computer & enables connection to cluster node directly by giving a reachable IP from cluster node. Or if you use CLI, you can connect to cluster node via command line. VOM is a product in itself for which you need to create VOM server.

In a GCO/replicated cluster environment, this IP will he communicating to cluster service IP on disaster recovery site. We're not using a DR recovery site at this time.

>>> That is good. So you don't really need that cluster service IP.

G

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

ClusterService group in VCS will contain a Cluster Service IP. This IP in a simple failover cluster was used to access Web UI of cluster. In a GCO/replicated cluster environment, this IP will he communicating to cluster service IP on disaster recovery site.

If you have a simple cluster without a DR site & then this IP will not be much of use & hence as you see someone might have removed it from cluster configuration & unplumbed from OS as well.

Please note, this has nothing to do with cluster heartbeats. I have seen people getting confused with cluster IP address to heartbeats. VCS heartbeat works on LLT at Layer 2 of OSI model which doesn't need an IP to communicate.

Hope this helps

G

tanky_belle
Level 2

Hi G,

Thanks for the response. Just trying to make sure I have this straight.

ClusterService group in VCS will contain a Cluster Service IP. Our main.cf only has the host names of the nodes and the Cluster Service IP is not listed. Is this okay?

This IP in a simple failover cluster was used to access Web UI of cluster. Is this the same as the Veritas Cluster Server Manager GUI? We currently connect directly to each node. Is this best practice?

In a GCO/replicated cluster environment, this IP will he communicating to cluster service IP on disaster recovery site. We're not using a DR recovery site at this time.

Thank you!

Kr

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

My answers below

>>> It is ok, this will not impact your current cluster operations in any way (unless you scale to global cluster)

>>> There are 4 ways to access a cluster, Web UI (for which the IP is used), Java GUI, CLI or VOM. If this IP is not there, you can not use Web UI. You can still manage the cluster by using Java GUI. Java GUI can be installed on any laptop or computer & enables connection to cluster node directly by giving a reachable IP from cluster node. Or if you use CLI, you can connect to cluster node via command line. VOM is a product in itself for which you need to create VOM server.

>>> That is good. So you don't really need that cluster service IP.

G

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Please mark the solution to appropriate answer from above ...

Thx

G

tanky_belle
Level 2

Thanks

tanky_belle
Level 2

Changed it. Thanks

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Thanks