Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS 6.2 Agents for Adabas and MariaDB

sanderfiers
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi colleagues,

For a customer I have to integrate two seperate databases into VCS 6.2 running on Oracle Linux. However I have no experience with both of them. And I could not find anything on SORT.

Could someone point me to the right direction regarding the VCS Agents?

MariaDB

The first one is MariaDB. However I can not find anything about MariaDB together with VCS.
As I found out MariaDB is a spinoff from MySQL since the Oracle/Sun merge, it's very simular to MySQL.
Does this mean I can use the same datbase resource as one would use for MySQL? Or is there a sperate one?

I assume MariaDB works seemless with VCS 6.2, since I saw this Release Note of SFHA 6.2 stating "Performance improvements for MySQL and MariaDB applications". So I would guess it works great, but I can not find any Agent.

Source: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sfha62

Adabas

The other database to integrate is Adabas (from Software AG).

From what I learned from Google, I see there was a Partner Agent for VCS 4.1 MP1, but only for Solaris on SPARC or Solaris on x86. But no Linux.
That is confirmed in the lit of Partner Agents in the "vcs_agent_support_matrix" spreadsheet (only Solaris on SPARC or x86, but no Linux).

I also found a Symantec  Article about an issue with the Adabas Agent for VCS 6.1 on SPARC/Solaris, but I can not find the Linux Agent on SORT. According to this Symantec Article the Agent should be released under the STEP (Symantec™ Technology Enabled Program).

Source: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH60665.html

But when I look on SORT at the Agents for STEP, no Agents are listed.

Source: https://sort.symantec.com/agents/detail/1142

The manufacturer, Software AG, also has a Wiki page dedicated to Adabas with VCS. But no info regarding the Agent.

Source: https://techcommunity.softwareag.com/pwiki/-/wiki/Main/Using+Veritas+to+Enable+Adabas+High+Availabil...

Any tips or links to the correct Agents?

Thanks in advance,

Sander Fiers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The text below relates to Volume Manager/File System improvements, not VCS.

"Performance improvements for MySQL and MariaDB applications: MySQL and MariaDB applications can now take advantage of atomic writes. Here, the underlying hardware guarantees atomicity of writes and double writes and data loss that may occur with partial writes to disks can be avoided. These database applications can benefit from performance gains by avoiding double writes.

I have not found any reference to MariaDB in the MySQL agent guide. If they really are the same thing I would assume the agent will work as all the attributes it would be working with should be a match. You can try it if you've got a system.

Alternatively contact the vendor as Marianne said. Partner Agent implies that the Vendor has written their own agent and that Veritas had certified it at some stage.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6

You may want to contact the DB suppliers - some of them provide their own agents for VCS.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

The text below relates to Volume Manager/File System improvements, not VCS.

"Performance improvements for MySQL and MariaDB applications: MySQL and MariaDB applications can now take advantage of atomic writes. Here, the underlying hardware guarantees atomicity of writes and double writes and data loss that may occur with partial writes to disks can be avoided. These database applications can benefit from performance gains by avoiding double writes.

I have not found any reference to MariaDB in the MySQL agent guide. If they really are the same thing I would assume the agent will work as all the attributes it would be working with should be a match. You can try it if you've got a system.

Alternatively contact the vendor as Marianne said. Partner Agent implies that the Vendor has written their own agent and that Veritas had certified it at some stage.