cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS Application resources restart policy

Nikolay_Uloga
Level 3

Dear all, could you kindly help me with following concern:
i have got installation of VCS 5.0 mp3 on RedHat Linux AS4.
I've got service group which contains multiple Application resources which looks approximately like this:

7 resources
             ^
             |
1 resource
             ^
             |
3 resources

The behaviour on fault of the resource should be like this:
if the resource in the middle of any of it's child resources ( below ) fails once the whole service group must be failed over to another node.
if one of the resource on top level (parents) failes it must be restarted 3 times and if unsuccessfully - failover the whole group

In my management console i see RestartLimit and OnlineRetryLimit parameters which are being specified for all resources in group.
But can i manually set up such parameters for each resource? Kindly tell which parameters should i check also to reach required behavior.

thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Some resource type attributes can be overridden at resource level - RestartLimit is one of them.

Extract from VCS user guide:

Overriding resource type static attributes
You can override some resource type static attributes and assign them resource-specific values. When a static attribute is overridden and the configuration is saved, the main.cf file includes a line in the resource definition for the static attribute and its overridden value.

To override resource type static attribute
1 Right-click the resource in the Service Groups tab of the configuration tree or in the Resources tab of the view panel.
2 Click Override Attributes.
3 Select the attributes to override.
4 Click OK.
The selected attributes appear in the Overridden Attributes table in the Properties view for the resource.
5 To modify the default value of an overridden attribute, click the icon in the Edit column of the attribute.

To override a type’s static attribute from cmd:
# hares -override resource static_attribute
# hares -modify resource static_attribute value

To restore default settings to a type’s static attribute
# hares -undo_override resource static_attribute

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nikolay_Uloga
Level 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Some resource type attributes can be overridden at resource level - RestartLimit is one of them.

Extract from VCS user guide:

Overriding resource type static attributes
You can override some resource type static attributes and assign them resource-specific values. When a static attribute is overridden and the configuration is saved, the main.cf file includes a line in the resource definition for the static attribute and its overridden value.

To override resource type static attribute
1 Right-click the resource in the Service Groups tab of the configuration tree or in the Resources tab of the view panel.
2 Click Override Attributes.
3 Select the attributes to override.
4 Click OK.
The selected attributes appear in the Overridden Attributes table in the Properties view for the resource.
5 To modify the default value of an overridden attribute, click the icon in the Edit column of the attribute.

To override a type’s static attribute from cmd:
# hares -override resource static_attribute
# hares -modify resource static_attribute value

To restore default settings to a type’s static attribute
# hares -undo_override resource static_attribute

Nikolay_Uloga
Level 3
Thanks a lot Marianne.