Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS AutoStartList configuration question

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hello,

We are running 2 node cluster and  Node 1 is primary and Node 2 is secondary.  If I set the AutoStartList =  { Node1 }

IF I reboot Node1,  SG will fail over to Node2, but  when Node 1 comes back online, would SG will fail over back to Node1 since I set AutoStartList =( Node1} ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct - just to clarify:

1. If node 1 or node 2 dies, if service group is running on that node then VCS will fail service group to other node, regardless of AutoStartList
  2. If you set AutoStartList to only 1 node, then if the service group is offline (like when both cluster nodes have been rebooted), then the service group will ONLY start on the node that is in AutoStartList, so if ONLY the other node (one not in the AutoStartList) comes up, then you will need to manually online the service group
  3. As Kevin, says, VCS will not switch a service group from a healthy system as this creates an outage for the service group

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kjbss
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Nope.

Stopping and moving a service is considered to be an unusual event that should not be done automatically (unless there is a failure of some-sort); VCS is all about "High Availability", and taking a service offline to move it to another node incurs an amount of service outage -- this is something VCS tries very hard to avoid.  It is up to the System Administrator to decide when it is appropriate to take the service down and move it over to the "preferred" node. 

allaboutunix
Level 6

Hi Kjbss,

so that means,after failover of the SG to node 2,when we need to fail back we need to do manually? right?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct - just to clarify:

1. If node 1 or node 2 dies, if service group is running on that node then VCS will fail service group to other node, regardless of AutoStartList
  2. If you set AutoStartList to only 1 node, then if the service group is offline (like when both cluster nodes have been rebooted), then the service group will ONLY start on the node that is in AutoStartList, so if ONLY the other node (one not in the AutoStartList) comes up, then you will need to manually online the service group
  3. As Kevin, says, VCS will not switch a service group from a healthy system as this creates an outage for the service group

Mike

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. There is no 'failback' or 'Auto failback' in VCS.

As per above excellent posts - 'failback' will mean another outage - not something you want in a production environment!

allaboutunix
Level 6

Thanks.. Genius   Symantic advisors for clariying the concept.smiley

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@allaboutunix, are you perhaps working with mokkan?

I am curious about the fact that mokkan started the discussion but you are replying to the advice?

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you All. It is very good explaination and I got it now.