cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS - Importing DG without the LUNs visible to the OS

joaotelles
Level 4

Hi,

Is the LUNs being visible to the OS a limitation for me to import a DG to a node? If so what would be the consequenses?

Will this work on this case?

vxdg -fC import diskgroup

Tks,

Joao

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Luns need to be accessible at OS level.

You need to be able to see Luns in 'format' output as well as 'vxdisk -o alldgs list'.

... what would be the consequenses? 

Attempt to import will fail.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Luns need to be accessible at OS level.

You need to be able to see Luns in 'format' output as well as 'vxdisk -o alldgs list'.

... what would be the consequenses? 

Attempt to import will fail.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi Joao,

Yes, agree with Marianne, Luns will need to be visible in order to get a successful Diskgroup import.

About doing force import (-fC import), I reckon old versions would still do a force import but this may leave some of your volumes in inconsistent (disabled) state & some volumes may come to work which have the visible disks but the volumes which didn't have Luns will be in disabled state & you should see failed disks in "vxdisk list" output. Though this type of half dg import is not recommended.

This behavior use to happen with 4.x products & infact I recollect this happening with 5.0 as well.

G

joaotelles
Level 4

Tks. After the LUNs are visible will the disks be visible automatically using the vxdisk?

Note that these LUNs are already part of G in the cluster where this node that cant see LUNs are.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When luns are visable to O/S, you need to use "vxdctl enable" to make there visable to vxdisk.

Mike