cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS NetApp - No Clustered disk groups discoverd.

smart2011
Level 4

Hi,

I’m configuring VCS 5.1 SP2 on Windows 2008 R2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 using NetApp storage. I’ve installed VCS without Storage Foundation.

I’ve created virtual luns in NetApp and mounted as basic and dynamic stroage in windows 2008 R2. While configuring SQL Service group i’m getting following error message,

No Clustered disk groups discoverd.

Possibly there are no voluems configuredon the cluster disk groups or they are already part of another service group in the crrent configuration Error V-16-13-123

I’m want to configure only SnapDrive this time. Any idea how to resolve this problem, i know how to fix it with Storage Foundation but with presense of NetApp making difficult this problem. In Admin guide, LDM procedure is available only for Windows 2003, any idea for Windows 2008. Any point which i’m missing with NetApp.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maj_rif
Level 4

I faced the same problem only. solution is quite simple, add NetApp Hardware replication agent. we have to install that agent either we are using replication or not. 

I hope that will work for you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you created diskgroup and volumes in VEA GUI and if so did you select "cluster diskgroup option" - if you didn't select this option, deport and then choose option when you import.

Mike

smart2011
Level 4

I've installed VCS package only that normally installed without storage foundation.

any idea how to use LDM with VCS.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If NetApp luns are not under SFW control, then you need to use NetApp Filer and NetApp SnapDrive agents instead of the VMDg and MountV agents and it maybe that SQL SG (service group) wizard does not support this which means you woud have to create SG manually

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I had a look at "Veritas Cluster Server 5.1 SP2 Implementation Guide for SQL Server 2008" at https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP2/Windows/ProductGuides/ and this describes in Chapter 4 the wizard for creating SQL SG for NetApp virtual LUNs, so the wizard should not be looking for SF clustered diskgroups.  

There are 2 wizards for creating SQL SGs, one for SQL + SF, and one for SQL + NetApp, but if you have ONLY installed VCS, then I would have thought you should only get NetApp wizard, but if this is not working, then you could create SG manually or ask Symantec Support why the Wizard is looking for SF diskgroups, when SF is not installed.  The way the product is packaged by Symantec is very confusing as Symantec can't make up there mind how to do it - initially SF and VCS were separate products, then they bundled them into one product called SFWHA, then they brought out VCS for NetApp, which was JUST VCS, and this was a separate download than that of SFWHA, and now they have bundled VCS for NetApp into SFWHA, but you still get a guide called "Veritas Cluster Server 5.1 SP2 Implementation Guide for SQL Server 2008" which has no reference to NetApp in the title, but the document is ONLY about SQL with NetApp, not SF.

Mike

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

VCS for Windows 5.1 SP2 is essentially identical to the VCS for NetApp solution that was branded as of 5.0.  The issue you are seeing is that the VCS SQL 2008/2008 R2 wizard is actually looking for SnapDrive or Windows LVM devices that are shared/visible between the nodes for the SQL failover service group that is being configured.  You will need to use the SnapDrive MMC snapin for Windows and actually configure the volumes and drive partitions that will be for your SQL System, RegRep, Logs, UserDB etc prior to actually running the wizard.

SnapDrive is a very simple utility that will allow you to discover volumes from your NetApp Filer and configure LUNS and LUN mappings for a particular host.  One additional problem you may face (or at least I did) is that once the Wizard detects the shared storage, the SnapDrive agent it creates to manage the volumes may not come online.  This is due to the fact that the VCS SnapDrive agent actually wanting to create the mapping to the initiator of the host (FC or iSCSI) from scratch.  To resolve this issue, you will need to unmap the LUN from the Filer (delete the mapping) and then use the SnapDrive agent to online the device. 

This took almost 2 days with Support to get resolved. 

Hope this helps. 

Joe D

maj_rif
Level 4

I faced the same problem only. solution is quite simple, add NetApp Hardware replication agent. we have to install that agent either we are using replication or not. 

I hope that will work for you.

smart2011
Level 4

Thank you maj.

After adding NetApp replicaiton agent option i'm able to run wizard.