cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS Setup Guidance: Active-Active Cluster for Websphere MQ

oopill
Level 2

I’m planning to setup a two node active-active cluster (with a shared storage) for a JMS application on Websphere MQ using Veritas Cluster Server (VCS). By active-active, I mean both of them will be servicing incoming traffic simultaneously. My JMS application and Websphere MQ can load balance traffic on their own. From the VCS documentation configuring an active –active is mentioned as maintenance intensive. So my questions are:

a) By maintenance overhead, what exactly is being referred to?
b) Is active-active not recommended in JMS applications using Websphere MQ?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

What document you are refering to ?

Gaurav

oopill
Level 2
I'm referring to VCS User's guide and Admin guide.

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee
Here is some feedback from our VCS Agent Engineering:

"a) By maintenance overhead, what exactly is being referred to?

In WebSphereMQ,
By Active-Active configuration we mean each queue manager can failover independently.
Hence each MQ resource should be in separate service group, this is the maintenance overhead.

b) Is active-active not recommended in JMS applications using Websphere MQ?

We’ll need to investigate more for JMS. However there is no known limitation, user can use active-active setup here too."

Did you already consult the current WebSphere MQ Agent documentation?

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/ClusterServer_UNIX/285153.pdf

Regards

Manuel

oopill
Level 2
Thanks for the reference documentation. 

Is it possible to have a veritas cluster for two queue managers with different names on two nodes without a floating IP address for the cluster? assume that there are separate service groups equal to the number of  queue managers. Second, in this active-active configuration is split-brain situation relevant? if yes, how do you alleviate such a situation? 

rajeev_kr
Not applicable
Employee
Can you please give some more information about what ”without a floating IP address for the cluster” means?
Are you looking for configuring parallel service group?