cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS behavior

symsonu
Level 6

We have one two node SFRAC cluster i.e parallel one. I need to understand the behaviour of VCS for the below situation.

We have freezed one node by hasys -freeze node1 and then we pull both the heartbeat cables from the node.

how will cluster behave ?

Note:--> there is no lowpri heartbeat link and there is only two normal HB links.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have SFRAC, then you must have fencing, so if you pull both HB cables at the same time, one of the nodes will panic.  Regardless of which nodes panics, any parallel service groups will remain online (like Oracle service group) , but if you have any failover service groups, then if node 1 panics, they will failover, but if node2 panics, they will not failover as node1 is frozen.  If you don't want failover service group to failover then you should freeze the failover service groups, not freeze the systems.  Freezing a system is generally used if you temporarily want to stop service groups failing to a particular system and you don't want to stop VCS on that system.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have SFRAC, then you must have fencing, so if you pull both HB cables at the same time, one of the nodes will panic.  Regardless of which nodes panics, any parallel service groups will remain online (like Oracle service group) , but if you have any failover service groups, then if node 1 panics, they will failover, but if node2 panics, they will not failover as node1 is frozen.  If you don't want failover service group to failover then you should freeze the failover service groups, not freeze the systems.  Freezing a system is generally used if you temporarily want to stop service groups failing to a particular system and you don't want to stop VCS on that system.

Mike

symsonu
Level 6

Hello Mike

Thanks for the response. I understood what you explained to me.

There is a two node sfrac cluster , one node each in different datacenter.In one of the datacenter LAN services will be unavailable i.e both the heartbeats unavailable at the same time ( due to parallel work on upgrade of switch)

From your explanation, I think it would be wise to stop the cluster services on the datacenter where maintenance is planned. As I/o dencing is enabled ..anynode can crash on heartbeat loss.

will it be sufficient to give hastop -local on the affected cluster node.?

Sumit

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would unload fencing, gab and llt as well - you can use rc scripts to do this.

Mike