cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS does not bring up network interface in Linux during failback.

Ryan_Chun
Level 2

Dear All,

I have the configuration below in my main.cf file, but it is not working properly.

group Network2 (

SystemList = { HOST1 = 1, HOST2 = 2, HOST3 = 3 }
Parallel = 1
AutoStartList = { HOST1, HOST2, HOST3 }
)

MultiNICA MultiNICA_OM (
Device @HOST1 = { eth1 = "10.30.10.44", eth7 = "10.30.10.44" }
Device @HOST2 = { eth1 = "10.30.10.45", eth7 = "10.30.10.45" }
Device @HOST3 = { eth1 = "10.30.10.46", eth7 = "10.30.10.46" }
NetMask = "255.255.255.240"
Options = "broadcast 10.30.10.47"
RouteOptions = "10.30.10.33"
NetworkHosts = { "10.30.10.33" }
Failback = 0
)

Phantom Phantom2 (
)

// resource dependency tree
//
// group Network2
// {
// MultiNICA MultiNICA_OM
// Phantom Phantom2
// }

To test the NIC failover and failback, I perform the steps below. 

1. Online the Group Network2. Both interfaces eth1 and eth7 are enabled. ifconfig command shows that both interfaces are up and running. Ports are blinking green. 

2. Disconnect the network cable from interface eth1. The IP is failed over to interface eth7. However, the interface eth1 is disabled. ifconfig command shows that the interface is down. 

3. Re-connect the network cable back into interface eth1. The interface is still down and port is NOT blinking. 

4. Disconnect the network cable from interface eth7. Here, I would expect VCS to bring up the interface eth1 and fail back the IP. However, it is not happening. The interface eth1 is still remained down and not blinking at all. 

What should I do in order to make the NIC failover and failback work properly? Appreciate if someone can shed some light.

I'm using Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.1 and VCS 5.1 SP1. Many thanks!

BR, Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eric_Hennessey1
Level 5
Employee Certified

NIC and MultiNIC resources in VCS don't actually bring a physical interface up or down, they simply monitor its state. In the case of the MultiNIC resource, VCS will move IP addresses between interfaces, but still doesn't do anything else to the NIC iself. This is indicated by the Operations attribute in the resource description being set to None (and no, you can't change it).

So, something's going on in the NIC configuration where the interface is being marked down, and not being marked back up when the physical link is restored.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Eric_Hennessey1
Level 5
Employee Certified

NIC and MultiNIC resources in VCS don't actually bring a physical interface up or down, they simply monitor its state. In the case of the MultiNIC resource, VCS will move IP addresses between interfaces, but still doesn't do anything else to the NIC iself. This is indicated by the Operations attribute in the resource description being set to None (and no, you can't change it).

So, something's going on in the NIC configuration where the interface is being marked down, and not being marked back up when the physical link is restored.