cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS installation

vcs_learner
Not applicable

I installed VCS, I have a Sun 5200 shared on two Solaris systems. I intend on installing Oracle on this cluster. How ought I do this, should I, via, one member of the cluster, first create a logical volume and on it a VxFS baseed filesystem, or, may I create a logical diskgroup and then create a ufs file system on it, or, ought I go with zfs.

Do I need to create a Veritas Cluster file system? (I'd like to learn, so doing so may not be a bad idea).

Then there is the Oracle part of the state of affairs, what do I need to actually install, I intend to install....11gR1_database, tuxedo, apache, some portal softwares, some weblogic middleware etc.

I will be searching online for examples/screenshots/history files/tutorials, I am, in fact, looking for a real production system example....so any advise is welcome.

I'd rather do something, replicate something, which is similar to a production e-commerce type environment, than, do something merely academic.

I apologize if I may have missed out details to help you answer questions, and/or, comment on this post.

Please do not hesitate to provide any comments - I'm new to VCS, so, all advise is welcome. I have been reading the multiple pdf files!

direct email: {removed}

Anne Dnhdry

[Edited: Removed personal information per the community rules and regulations.]

Message Edited by Brad_C on 11-10-2008 01:19 PM
1 REPLY 1

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
To answer this question correctly , it'd be useful to have some more information

What type of Oracle are you installing? Is this standalone Oracle database, or something more complicated like Oracle RAC (Real Application Cluster)
  •  
VCS supports UFS and VxFS (although I can't imagine why someone would use UFS if you have already paid for VxFS which comes with VCS; it's like shooting yourself in the foot!). In VCS 5.0 MP3 I believe there is also ZFS support to some extent, although again, since you have VxFS, which has over a decade in production enterprise environments, I would stick with that.

For some sample environments, I'd download, install, and look at the VCS Simulator tool, which is free, small, and shows you some "fake" VCS environments in a graphical view. This can help you get started.

I might also look at attending a training course, depending on what you are doing.