cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS package dependencies

ToddS
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying determine the best way to remove all non VCS VRTSx packages from a solaris server(s) ansd leave CVS packages

Physical servers are being migrated to solaris zones and part of the process is to remove all VRTSx packages from the local zone.

But if the physical host was running VCS then I need to leave these 2 packages installed in the zone

VRTSvcsvr - VERITAS Cluster server Agent

VRTSperl - Perl 5.8.6 for VERITAS

I do not think simply excluding these packages from the pkgrm command would be good enough.  Since there are package dependencies.

Does anyone know how I could determine all the package dependencies for these 2 packages ?

I have not been able to find any type of matrix that lists this.  Not all VRTS packages have a `depends` file pkg dependencies.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

VRTSperl , VRTScpi & VRTSvlic are the 3 foundation packages for any veritas SF suite product, so they lie at bottom of the chain. These 3 packages are must for any SF suite product install.

Regarding package dependencies, well there are lots of changes in the product versions (for e.g 5.1 & 5.0), 5.1 as very less number of packages comparing to 5.0.  I remember install guides use to have chapter where it will list dependencies (not exactly which package depends on which package but a sort of order of package installation which may help a bit)..

I would suggest to have a look at install guides... you can find the install guides here:

https://sort.symantec.com/documents    (select appropriate OS & VCS version you are using & go to product guides)

For e.g from a SF 5.1SP1 VCS install guide located here:

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/solaris/productguides/pdf/vcs_install_51sp1_sol.pdf

page no. 212

Viewing the list of VCS packages

During the VCS installation, the installer prompts you with an option to choose
the VCS packages to install. You can view the list of packages that each of these
options would install using the installer command-line option.
Manual installation or upgrade of the product requires you to install the packages
in a specified order. For example, you must install some packages before other
packages because of various product dependencies
. The following installer
command options list the packages in the order in which you must install these
packages.

Table 16-2 describes the VCS package installation options and the corresponding
command to view the list of packages

would suggest to have a look in the guide for information

Gaurav

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

VRTSperl , VRTScpi & VRTSvlic are the 3 foundation packages for any veritas SF suite product, so they lie at bottom of the chain. These 3 packages are must for any SF suite product install.

Regarding package dependencies, well there are lots of changes in the product versions (for e.g 5.1 & 5.0), 5.1 as very less number of packages comparing to 5.0.  I remember install guides use to have chapter where it will list dependencies (not exactly which package depends on which package but a sort of order of package installation which may help a bit)..

I would suggest to have a look at install guides... you can find the install guides here:

https://sort.symantec.com/documents    (select appropriate OS & VCS version you are using & go to product guides)

For e.g from a SF 5.1SP1 VCS install guide located here:

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/solaris/productguides/pdf/vcs_install_51sp1_sol.pdf

page no. 212

Viewing the list of VCS packages

During the VCS installation, the installer prompts you with an option to choose
the VCS packages to install. You can view the list of packages that each of these
options would install using the installer command-line option.
Manual installation or upgrade of the product requires you to install the packages
in a specified order. For example, you must install some packages before other
packages because of various product dependencies
. The following installer
command options list the packages in the order in which you must install these
packages.

Table 16-2 describes the VCS package installation options and the corresponding
command to view the list of packages

would suggest to have a look in the guide for information

Gaurav

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

A few points:

1. VRTSvcsvr is the VCS VVR agent and VVR only runs in the global zone, so you should not need this in the local zone
  2. Are you using branded zones.  If not, then you need to be careful as normally packages in the local zone are handled automatically - i.e. when you add a VRTS package in the global zone, it will automatically be installed in the current local zones if it needs to be and if you create a new zone, then all package which need to be in the local zone, will automatically be installed when you create the zone.   
  3. VRTScpi and VRTSvlic are not required in the local zone.  VRTScpi is the common package installer and you should not use "installsf" in the local zone, you need to add packages manually and adding packages is only normally done for branded zones.  You don't normally need VRTSvlic, but one exception to this is if you are using ODM.

Mike