Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS upgrade to 5.1SP1 from 5.0MP3

SK_Ram
Level 3
Accredited

Hi there,

I recently did a VCS upgrade on my lab for an upgrade request in a production environment. I followed the guidlines in the symantec document but the upgrade failed. As such, can anyone guide which is the correct upgrade method? Do I also need to take care of the DG and FS versions?

Customer is giving me a downtime of 4hrs which I think should be sufficient. Production environment consist of VCS 5.0 and Oracle Databases. The logs I captured during my upgrade are as follows:

1st Portion

root@sf490-node1 # ./installer

Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.1 SP1 Install Program

Logs are being written to /var/tmp/installer-201204261030nvB while installer

is in progress.

System verification did not complete successfully

The following errors were discovered on the systems:

5.0.3 is installed. Upgrading 5.0.3 directly to VCS 5.1.100.0 is not

supported.

Product Installed - Product Version - System Name

SFCFSHA - 5.0.3 - sf490-node1

SFCFSHA - 5.0.3 - sf490-node2

First run 'installer -upgrade' to upgrade product to 5.1.100.0 and then run

installer to install VCS.

installer log files, summary file, and response file are saved at:

/opt/VRTS/install/logs/installer-201204261030nvB

2nd Portion

root@sf490-node1 # ./installer -upgrade

Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.1 SP1 Upgrade Program

.................................... Done

Checking installed product /-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/

CPI ERROR V-9-30-2068 Cannot upgrade SFCFSHA51 product because it is not

installed on your system.

installer log files, summary file, and response file are saved at:

/opt/VRTS/install/logs/installer-201204261033IfF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Looking at Solaris 5.1SP1 SFCFS install guide, this should be supported as upgrading from 5.0Mp3 to 5.1SP1 is listed in "Supported Upgrades" on page  119, but for example if you were upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1SP1 , then you would need to upgrade to an intermediate version like 5.0 and then upgrade to 5.1SP1 and the installer logs you have shown are sort of saying this type of thing, except they are saying upgrade to 5.1.1 first, which is 5.1SP1.

You could try running installer -upgrade as oppose to just "installer", but if this doesn't work, then I would be tempted to log a call with Support.  Alternativly you can upgrade by removing 5.0MP3 and then installing 5.1SP1 and I always personally prefer this method anyway.

Upgrading DG and FS versions are optional, but advisable to get benefits of later versions, but I would advise upgrading this about week after binary upgrade as after upgrading DG and FS versions, you cannot go back to 5.0MP3 without restoring data from tape backup, so if you are unfortunate to hit a bug in 5.1SP1 in the first week then you have the option of reverting back to 5.0MP3.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Looking at Solaris 5.1SP1 SFCFS install guide, this should be supported as upgrading from 5.0Mp3 to 5.1SP1 is listed in "Supported Upgrades" on page  119, but for example if you were upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1SP1 , then you would need to upgrade to an intermediate version like 5.0 and then upgrade to 5.1SP1 and the installer logs you have shown are sort of saying this type of thing, except they are saying upgrade to 5.1.1 first, which is 5.1SP1.

You could try running installer -upgrade as oppose to just "installer", but if this doesn't work, then I would be tempted to log a call with Support.  Alternativly you can upgrade by removing 5.0MP3 and then installing 5.1SP1 and I always personally prefer this method anyway.

Upgrading DG and FS versions are optional, but advisable to get benefits of later versions, but I would advise upgrading this about week after binary upgrade as after upgrading DG and FS versions, you cannot go back to 5.0MP3 without restoring data from tape backup, so if you are unfortunate to hit a bug in 5.1SP1 in the first week then you have the option of reverting back to 5.0MP3.

Mike

SK_Ram
Level 3
Accredited

Hi Mike,

I uninstalled 5.0MP3 and installed 5.1. It worked. Thanks. Btw how do I check the DG version and how I should upgrade it? The FS was version 7, so there was no need to upgrade the FS but I've no clue on the DG. Thanks.

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To check the version of Disk group you can simply run:

vxdg list "dgname" | grep version

The upgrade is handled by running

vxdg -T "version" uprgrade "dg name" 

Joe D