cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCSdefault.dll

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Hi,

I need to build a agent without writing and compiling any C++ code. According to the VCS Agent Developer's Guide, I need to use the ScriptAgent binary VCSdefault.dll. I have a VCS 5.0 on Windows environment. However, I did not find VCSdefault.dll in the %VCS_HOME\bin% directory. Can anyone tell me if this dll file is available in VCS 5.0 on Windows? Is it replaced with another file?
17 REPLIES 17

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Did you mean %VCS_HOME\bin% or %VCS_HOME%\bin ?

The Ag Dev Guide lists this as:
%VCS_HOME%\bin\VCSdefault.dll

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
You are right. It is %VCS_HOME%\bin.

How come I did not find it in my installation. Smiley Sad

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
I don't have access to a 5.0 VCS cluster at the  moment but will send this to a technical product manager.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Thanks.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I don't have vcsdefault.dll on my system either. (VCS 5.0 on Windows)

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Michelle, I am still trying, now with the development group, but wondered if you had looked at the Process Agent's capabilities. There is also the GenericService agent.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
I want to build a agent without writing and compiling any C++ code. According to the AD guide, I need to tun the following command:

copy %VCS_HOME%\bin\VCSdefault.dll  %VCS_HOME%\bin\MyResource\MyResource.dll

Do you mean I can use %VCS_HOME%\bin\Process\Process.dll to replace %VCS_HOME%\bin\VCSdefault.dll? Do I need to implement entry points by C++ code if using Process.dll?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Process resource type allows you to wirte scripts for start, stop, monitor and run the process in a specific user context. You do not need to use the script agent for this. The Process Agent, being a Bundled Agent, is a supported agent. Look in the Bundled Agents Reference Guide and it should give you an example. We use this in class to demonstrate how to use a script to start a process. This reduces your work because you do not need to create a types file for your resource type.

From the BARG:

Sample 1
In the following configuration, the online entry point spawns the executable
test.exe with online as a command-line argument. The offline entry point
spawns the executable test.exe with offline as the command-line argument.
The monitor entry point monitors the attribute value for StartProgram,
test.exe, and checks the state.
Process Process_Test (
StartProgram = "\"X:\\bin\\test.exe\" /online"
StopProgram = "\"X:\\bin\\test.exe\" /offline"
UserName = "Administrator"
Password = bphNepE
Domain = "VCS_DOMAIN"
)
Sample 2
In the following configuration, the batch file start.bat starts an instance,
MyProcess, of the executable process.exe. The batch file stop.bat stops the
process instance of process.exe. The batch file monitor.bat monitors the
attribute value for StartProgram, and checks the state of the process.exe. Note
that the executable process.exe resides in the directory C:\batchfiles, which
is specified as the StartupDirectory.
PROCESS-Process_SG (
StartProgram = "C:\\batchfiles\\start.bat MyProcess"
StartupDirectory = "C:\\batchfiles"
StopProgram = "C:\\batchfiles\\stop.bat MyProcess"
MonitorProgram = "C:\\batchfiles\\monitor.bat MyProcess"
UserName = Administrator
Password = jxpVmxM
Domain = "mydomain.mycompany.com"
)

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Thanks, Gene.

I guess Process agent does not fit my requirement  because I need to define specific attributes for my resource.

Have you got any response from the development group?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
I haven't heard anything yet, but I emailed people in Califorina and it is about 8am here.

You can pass the specifics as options to the batch files

start.bat ABC 123 "c:\whatever"

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Michelle, I do not have a system to work with, can you see if you can find ScriptAgent or Script50Agent? Both of these are mentioned in the Agent Dev manual

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Gene,

I have checked into my environment and did not see ScriptAgent or Script50Agent in any of my VCS installation directory..

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Here is the answer I got:

VCSDefault.dll has changed names to default50agent.dll in 5.0.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
This is great!! Thanks for all the help, Gene.

prashhi
Level 3
Hi All,

I need to use the ScriptAgent binary VCSdefault.dll( using script method, i need to create a agent file). I have a VCS 5.1(64 Bit) on Windows environment. However, I did not find VCSdefault.dll in the %VCS_HOME\bin% directory. Can anyone tell me if this dll file is available in VCS 5.1(64 Bit) on Windows? Is it replaced with another file?

Thanks in Advance,
Prasanth

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
HI Prasanth,

As mentioned by Gene Henriksen, the vcsdefault.dll binary has been renamed to default50agent.dll.  You should still find it in the %vcs_home%\bin folder.

I will also let our docmentation team know of this problem so that it can be address with the next release of the Agent Developer's Guide.

Thanks,
Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Prasanth,

I just checked the 5.1 SP1 version of the Agent Developer's Guide and the file name has already been corrected in that release.  You can access this version via ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/documentation/VCS_AgentDev_51SP1.pdf.

Thanks,
Wally