cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Cluster Server One as trialware download? What is vcs one?

gerhardl
Level 2

Hello,

since yesterday I know about a special vcs edition for virtual environments.

So i want to test the "vcs one" edition.

I it possible to get a trial download for that product.

What is the difference between vcs and vcs one?

I think, if we want to handle solaris zones in a cluster environment, it would be better to use vcs one?

Is it possible to install vcs on on linux xen-kernel (dom0)?

Greetings

gerhard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You cannot install VCS or "VCS One" on Xen (I was only saying yesterday that if Symantec were to support Xen, then it would make more sence to do so in VCS One, rather than VCS).

In VCS, each node makes decisions and all nodes talk to each other over LLT.

VCS One has a policy master (which is redundant via a regular VCS cluster) and it has a "farm" of nodes and so a failover of an application from one node in the farm to another is controlled by the Policy Master where the Policy master communicates to nodes in the farm using TCP/IP.  From memory I think VCS support 32 nodes and VCS One supports 256.

VCS One has lots of different views about nodes in the farm, unlike VCS where you just see systems, service groups and resources, so in VCS One you can see a better view of virtual environments for Solaris Zones and VMWare.  However support for virtual environments is changing all the time so someone else on this forum can probably tell you what current status of support of "Solaris Zones" is for VCS One.

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You cannot install VCS or "VCS One" on Xen (I was only saying yesterday that if Symantec were to support Xen, then it would make more sence to do so in VCS One, rather than VCS).

In VCS, each node makes decisions and all nodes talk to each other over LLT.

VCS One has a policy master (which is redundant via a regular VCS cluster) and it has a "farm" of nodes and so a failover of an application from one node in the farm to another is controlled by the Policy Master where the Policy master communicates to nodes in the farm using TCP/IP.  From memory I think VCS support 32 nodes and VCS One supports 256.

VCS One has lots of different views about nodes in the farm, unlike VCS where you just see systems, service groups and resources, so in VCS One you can see a better view of virtual environments for Solaris Zones and VMWare.  However support for virtual environments is changing all the time so someone else on this forum can probably tell you what current status of support of "Solaris Zones" is for VCS One.

Mike