cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas InfoScale Enterprise or Windows Cluster

Mario_Gschwend
Not applicable
Hi I am an apprentice as a system engineer of the Swiss Post IT AG. I have the order to create a 2 Node Failover Cluster for my graduation thesis. I work with the operation system Windows Server 2012. On the Failover cluster i have to install Veritas Info Scale Foundation and MS SQL Server 2014 for testing purposes. I have seen that i could use Veritas Info Scale Enterprise to create a High Available Cluster. It's my firtst time i use something from veritas and i wonder which way is better. Should I create the cluster with the common Windows Server 2012 Feature or can I try with veritas Info Scale Enterprise? Please tell me if I'm totally wrong with my thoughts about this. I don't have to buy anything because i can just use the 60 Days trial version. Like I said, it's for testing purposes and i have to show my team the advantages of Veritas Info Scale. Thanks in advance and kind regards Mario Gschwend
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mario,

I do work with both and both clustering solutions have their own strenghts.  Most of the time the choice of which clusting solution to use comes down to personal preference and/or features available/needed.

I prefer the InfoScale Enterprise clustering solution (no real surprise there) as it offers some advanced features such as cluster to cluster (GCO/site to site) failover which Windows Failover cluster does not offer.  InforScale Enterprise is also the same product regardless of what OS you are using.  The InfoScale product for Unix, Linux and Windows have the same basic feel about them.  This makes it easier for large environments to use one clustering solutions regardless of what OS it is on.

As for your, use of InfoScale Foundation with Windows Failover cluster.  You will need to change this to InfoScale Storage as the InfoScale Foundation product does not include support for Windows Failover cluster.

Good luck with your testing.

Thank you,

Wally Heim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Mario

Yes you can install the Infoscale Enterprise to cluster your SQL server instance. You can download the guide here sf_hadr_sql2012_solns_70_win.pdf

Please note that Infoscale has recently been rebranded from Storage Foundation so if you see references to that, don't worry its the same thing.

Infoscale has many advantages over WSFC which I'll not go into unless you want the information.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mario,

I do work with both and both clustering solutions have their own strenghts.  Most of the time the choice of which clusting solution to use comes down to personal preference and/or features available/needed.

I prefer the InfoScale Enterprise clustering solution (no real surprise there) as it offers some advanced features such as cluster to cluster (GCO/site to site) failover which Windows Failover cluster does not offer.  InforScale Enterprise is also the same product regardless of what OS you are using.  The InfoScale product for Unix, Linux and Windows have the same basic feel about them.  This makes it easier for large environments to use one clustering solutions regardless of what OS it is on.

As for your, use of InfoScale Foundation with Windows Failover cluster.  You will need to change this to InfoScale Storage as the InfoScale Foundation product does not include support for Windows Failover cluster.

Good luck with your testing.

Thank you,

Wally Heim