Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-587

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
I used command:

vxdg -s import disk1

to import the disk group as shared. But I got the error message:

VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-587 Disk group disk1: import failed: Operation must be executed on master

How do I know which node is the master node? I tried this command on both cluster nodes and got the same error. What could be wrong?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Correct. You said you have CLuster Server, Volume Manager and File System. Master is used with Cluster Volume Manager and you do not have that product so you cannot enable its capabilities.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Mahesh_Gurugunt
Level 3
Did you try forcibly importing the disk??

vxdg -s -f import diskgrp

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
It would help if you would state the OS, the VERITAS product, etc. In this case it appears you are trying to import a disk group in shared mode in Oracle RAC perhaps. You must import disk groups on the master node, you can determine the master with vxdctl -c mode.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
VERITAS product: Veritas Cluster Server 4.0, VxVM 4.0, VxFS 4.0

I just want to import a disk group in a shared mode in my own application.

The output of command:

vxdctl -c mode

is

mode: enabled: cluster inactive

How do I make the cluster active?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
To used shared mode you would have to have the Cluster Volume Manager and Cluster File System. The application would have to understand that two copies are running and be able to control the locking between nodes. This is done in applications such as Oracle RAC 9i which uses GAB and LLT as a transport between the nodes to trade info.

Using shared mounts between nodes where the apps were unaware (such as mounting a file system) would lead to trashing the file system. When the second node mounted the file system it would be aware of the current condition of the file system as it read the superblock. However, from that point on, the two nodes would not re-read the superblock, would have no idea of what was happening at the remote node in terms of allocation of blocks, directory changes, etc. They would overwrite each others data.

Mounting on the second node in a read only mode leads to inconsistent data as seen from the second node because it would not know if data had been updated and would assume blocks it had cached had not changed.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
As a warning on forcing imports or any other operation, look up sfdisk in RH Linux man pages, the definition for force is:

-f or --force: Do what I say even if it is stupid

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
I have tried forcibly importing the disk by:

vxdg -s -f import diskgrp

But still got the same error massage:

import failed: Operation must be executed on master.

How do I work around this?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
You don't unless you have the product that supports it. Read my post about "vxdctl -c mode" to find the master.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Also the -f option for vxdg import is only in case the DG is missing disks. In that case, you can import it to replace the missing disks.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
The output of command:

"vxdctl -c mode"

is

"mode: enabled: cluster inactive"

There is no indication of the master. Does it mean shared disk group is not supported?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Correct. You said you have CLuster Server, Volume Manager and File System. Master is used with Cluster Volume Manager and you do not have that product so you cannot enable its capabilities.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Also, Michelle, when a question is answered, you are the one who is supposed to mark it "answered". You can also award points for correct answers if you choose to do so. That is what makes those orange and green light bulbs next to some questions.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Thanks. Do you know the package name of Cluster Volume Manager?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
It appears to be part of Storage Foundation Cluster File System. I am a VM/VCS/GCO/VVR instructor, not a sales person so I don't keep up with product names from a marketing/sales perspective.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
I see.

Does Storage Foundation Cluster File System require a separate license from VCS, VXVM and VXFS?

Does Storage Foundation Enterprise HA have Cluster Voume Manager too?

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
SFCFS includes many of the components you have. SFEnterpriseHA does not include CVM/CFS.

Michelle_Lai
Level 4
Thanks for all your help!

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
I know little about licensing or sales of products. I deliver technical information. You need to talk to sales.