Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add node to VCS for SQL

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello

Currently , I have 2 node cluser for SQL database.

There are requirement to add new node to the existing cluster.

If I install windows  , sql installation &  configuration as same as the exsing nodes.

The finally step are just adding the node to cluster and re-run the SQL agent configuration wizard to reconfigure the SQL service group.

I am not sure about the additional step that must be concern.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi pgm10s,

It sounds like you have everything covered fairly well.  The installation of SQL needs to have the same path to the binaries as the existing nodes.  The path to the master database files can be different.  But don't worry, the SQL service group configuration wizard will fix that difference.  You just need to run the wizard from an existing node in the cluster where the share storage is already online and then add the new node via the wizard. 

Be sure to install any SQL patches on the new node that may have been installed on the 2 existing SQL nodes.

Don't forget to test failover to ensure that SQL is working correctly on all nodes.

If you have configured SQL Network settings to use a different port then you might need to change that manually.  But if that needs to be done, then it should come out in the testing phase..

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi pgm10s,

It sounds like you have everything covered fairly well.  The installation of SQL needs to have the same path to the binaries as the existing nodes.  The path to the master database files can be different.  But don't worry, the SQL service group configuration wizard will fix that difference.  You just need to run the wizard from an existing node in the cluster where the share storage is already online and then add the new node via the wizard. 

Be sure to install any SQL patches on the new node that may have been installed on the 2 existing SQL nodes.

Don't forget to test failover to ensure that SQL is working correctly on all nodes.

If you have configured SQL Network settings to use a different port then you might need to change that manually.  But if that needs to be done, then it should come out in the testing phase..

Thank you,

Wally

pgm10s
Level 5

Thank you for the advice.

There are more requirement about the downtime that must low as possible.

I have tested adding the sql node. I found that there is no downtime during the adding process.

There will be only 3-4 minutes downtime when I switch SQL SG to new node.

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi pgm10s,

It sounds like you are on the right track and have a good hand on what you need to do.  Remember that if you have any problems during the process you can always open a case with Symantec Techncial Support.

Thank you,

Wally Hem

pgm10s
Level 5

Hello Wally_Heim

I have some question about manage SQL under VCS control.

After we finish configured the SQL service group without Detail Monitoring.

-If we add more SQL database in the same instance with same share drive/volume , what shoud we change or do anything at VCS.

-If we delete SQL database, what shoud we change or do anything at VCS.

Thank you.