cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cluster

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

i like to verify the following.there is an vcs distribution for solaris and an vcs distribution for linux.right?could i see vcs like an appication on top of OS?

thus could i setup an vcs cluster with one node run linux and the other node runs solaris?

then if i create an dg on linux node with an cds disk,and logical volume on top,could i import this dg on solaris?

thanks a lot,

marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

yep, kernel is different & hence the way product is designed to work is also different.

Not only GAB but other components like LLT, VxFEN & HAD will be different as well. Within Solaris itself, to form a successful cluster, versions should be exactly same. for e.g solaris 5.0 VCS can not join cluster with 5.0SP1 as codes will be different. An exact package version of software can only build cluster.

G

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi Marius,

There is separate software for Linux & Solaris. Yes, VCS is an application which sits on top of OS.

You can not make a linux node to join cluster with Solaris node ... for VCS, same OS with same VCS version can only join cluster.

About volume manager though, you can create cds format diskgorups in solaris OR linux & import them on other platform but this is limited to volume manager. You can not couple linux & solaris in cluster

G

tanislavm
Level 6

i could not form an vcs from solaris and linux because solaris and linux have diffrent kernel,so the communication betwen them using gab will not work?

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

yep, kernel is different & hence the way product is designed to work is also different.

Not only GAB but other components like LLT, VxFEN & HAD will be different as well. Within Solaris itself, to form a successful cluster, versions should be exactly same. for e.g solaris 5.0 VCS can not join cluster with 5.0SP1 as codes will be different. An exact package version of software can only build cluster.

G