cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gco

vucni11
Level 4

hi,

From where should i download Remote Cluster Configuration wizard in order to configure global cluster?

Please give me an example of main.cf with gco.

tnx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@vucni11 wrote:

hi,

in situation with 3 sites i need Steward?

tnx

It depends. If you have three sites but only two sites are configured for VCS with GCO/WAC then you need a Steward process at the third site to enable fully automatic failover for global groups. If you have three sites configured in VCS then you can enable automatic failover as VCS will run inquiry through WAC between all sites before declaring one of the sites down during a wide-area disaster

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne

If I may ask - have you read through Chapter 16 of VCS 7.2 Admin Guide? 

Mouse

/opt/VRTSvcs/bin/gcoconfig 

There are heaps of sample config snippets in the documents, I'd suggest to have a look at the admin guide

Hi,

From vcs system admin:

To add a remote cluster to a global cluster environment in Cluster Explorer

From Cluster Explorer, click Add/Delete Remote Cluster on the Edit menu.
or From the Cluster Explorer configuration tree, right-click the cluster name,
and click Add/Delete Remote Clusters.

I need this cluster explorer.Anyway i will try to see what is in /etc/VRTSvcs/bin/gcoconfig.

tnx

hi,

my geo cluster works.hastop -evacuate works only in local cluser?

tnx

hi,

Give me a scenario where i should use geo cluster on 3 sites.

tnx

Mouse

This comes down to the business requirements and the RPO/RTO criteria. Also, to protect from a split-brain scenario, any global cluster with two sites needs Steward at a third site for fully automatic failover. If you have three sites already and have a business requirement to have that level of protection, then you build GCO configuration with three sites.

hi,

tnx

hi,

hi,

in 2 sites case if i have groups that are active on both nodes i think it is fine to use steward,but if the groups are active on a site and the other site is as backup,maybe here steward it is pointless.right?

tnx

Mouse

@vucni11 wrote:

hi,

tnx

It depends. If you have three sites but only two sites are configured for VCS with GCO/WAC then you need a Steward process at the third site to enable fully automatic failover for global groups. If you have three sites configured in VCS then you can enable automatic failover as VCS will run inquiry through WAC between all sites before declaring one of the sites down during a wide-area disaster

Mouse

@vucni11 wrote:

hi,

hi,

in 2 sites case if i have groups that are active on both nodes i think it is fine to use steward,but if the groups are active on a site and the other site is as backup,maybe here steward it is pointless.right?

tnx

I don't think I understand the question as global group can't be online at both sites in the same GCO configuration, VCS supports Parallel groups within a single cluster, but they are 'failover' in the global cluster configuration. The best example would be a global cluster with Oracle RAC, look up some SFRAC docs, they explain this set up.

The only reason I could think of when Steward is required is when you have a GCO configuration between two sites and would like to enable automatic wide-area failover in case of outage of entire site. Then you need Steward to help with arbitration. If you use GCO to automate wide-area failover but prepared to do it manually, then there is no need for Steward.

Hope this helps.