Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hearbeat links failure question

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hello,

I have a basic question regarding heartbeat links.  For a 2 node cluster, if we loose all the hearbeat links and if there is no iofencing, servers will go to  split brain  state?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have to loose the last 2 heartbeats at the same time to go into split brain which shouldn't happen if your heartbeats are independent.  If you do loose the last 2 heartbeats at the same time, then I/O fencing will stop split-brain, but you can also make diskgroup resource dependent on IP  resource and then if public network is still up, when IP tries to online it will fail so the diskgroup will not go online if you have made it dependent on IP so your data will not be corrupted - you can also do the equivalent of this by using preonline_ipc trigger script

Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have to loose the last 2 heartbeats at the same time to go into split brain which shouldn't happen if your heartbeats are independent.  If you do loose the last 2 heartbeats at the same time, then I/O fencing will stop split-brain, but you can also make diskgroup resource dependent on IP  resource and then if public network is still up, when IP tries to online it will fail so the diskgroup will not go online if you have made it dependent on IP so your data will not be corrupted - you can also do the equivalent of this by using preonline_ipc trigger script

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

By definition yes, if you loose all heartbeats (high & low pri) & there is no IOFencing, cluster will go in split brain. There is ways to protect it with IOFencing be the most recommended one

G

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Thank you very much guys.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am very late to this conversation, but it seems that you have a lot of 'basic' questions about VCS.

Please download the VCS Admin Guide for your OS and VCS version from  https://sort.symantec.com/documents  

Take your time to read through Section 3 - VCS communication and operations

Some interesting/relevant topics in this section:

Examples of VCS operation with I/O fencing

About cluster membership and data protection without I/O fencing

Examples of VCS operation without I/O fencing