cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master node

tanislavm
Level 6

hi, I would like to know the master node role in vcs. Let`s say we configure an vcs with 2 node only and no resource.At this time one node is master node and the other is slave node? What about if we have only one node in vcs?is master node? all the heartbeat from all the slave nodes go to master node?what other things are related of master node beside of disk resource config? thanks a lot, marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With Cluster Volume Manager (CVM) there is a master node - the master node is the only node that can create, modify and delete diskgroups and volumes.  In VCS there is no master, regardless of whether you have no service groups, or one or many service groups all one node node, or spread across the nodes - each node broadcasts out heartbeats and each node listens for heartbeats from the other nodes.  If you only have one node, then you don't have to have heartbeats and you configure VCS to start with "hastart -onenode" which means VCS does not require LLT and GAB.  You can still configure heartbeats with a one-node cluster if you plan to add another node later sometime in the future.

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Setu_Gupta
Level 3
Accredited

There is no such thing as master node and slave node in VCS. All nodes have all the information regarding the status of service groups and resources configured on any node in the cluster.

If you configure a failover service group (Parallel = 0), which is the default, then one of the nodes can be "active" node. And other nodes are "passive" node. "Active" node refers to the node where the service group is currently online.

HTH.

tanislavm
Level 6
hi, I am very sorry but vcs has master and slave nodes.still I wait for the correct answer.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With Cluster Volume Manager (CVM) there is a master node - the master node is the only node that can create, modify and delete diskgroups and volumes.  In VCS there is no master, regardless of whether you have no service groups, or one or many service groups all one node node, or spread across the nodes - each node broadcasts out heartbeats and each node listens for heartbeats from the other nodes.  If you only have one node, then you don't have to have heartbeats and you configure VCS to start with "hastart -onenode" which means VCS does not require LLT and GAB.  You can still configure heartbeats with a one-node cluster if you plan to add another node later sometime in the future.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot.just show me how to mark your answer as solution.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There should be a "Mark as solution" at the bottom of my post ((you should click on "Mark as solution" on my previous post that gave the solution - not this post.)

Mike

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have selected 'I do not need a solution (just sharing information)' when you started this discussion. This is why there was no 'Solution' link.

I have changed the setting to 'I need a solution'.
You can now select a post and click on 'Mark as solution'.

tanislavm
Level 6

thank you