vcs freeze

vucni11
Level 4

hi,

i like to know if i must to freeze a service group on a vcs node if:

-i use vxrecover to sync mirror plexes or recreate raid5

-i resize volume

-i change a volume from linear to mirror

-any other operation without to import or deport dg.

could i use fsadm with users on fs?

tnx a lot.

markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't need to freeze the cluster for these operations. They occur on the volume manager layer. VCS monitors volume manager object in terms of their name (volume name and diskgroup name) but it doesn't care what happens on the layers below the volume i.e. what its layout is, what its size is, which disks make up its plexes/subdisks etc.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

You don't need to freeze the cluster for these operations. They occur on the volume manager layer. VCS monitors volume manager object in terms of their name (volume name and diskgroup name) but it doesn't care what happens on the layers below the volume i.e. what its layout is, what its size is, which disks make up its plexes/subdisks etc.

hi,

so if i will create a new volume in dg or delete a volume,then i must to freeze service group.in rest when i resync plexes in raid 1 or 5 even if could be timeout there is no need to freeze.tnx

Marianne

You do not need to freeze the SG when adding or removing a volume.
Adding a volume in a DG will not affect any existing online resources associated with the DG.
Create appropriate VCS resources for the new volume.

When you need to remove/delete a volume, offline all VCS resources associated with the volume (unmount, stop volume), delete the resources, then delete the volume.

Please see Service Group 'use cases' in this post:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Storage-and-Clustering/node-freeze-v-s-service-group-freeze/m-p/739986#M7...

hi,

i only need to freeze service group if i deport or import dg or restart aplication?tnx a lot.

Marianne

No. Do not manually deport/import DGs.

Use VCS to switch the SG or else offline SG on node where you need to deport, then online the DG reseource on the node where you need to import.

Please understand that normal maintenance tasks need to change when you cluster an application.
You can use VCS to perform most of these tasks - such as the deport and import that I have explained here.
Application restart can be done via offline of the apllication resource followed by online. 

No need to freeze in any of these circumstances.

If Application admin REALLY needs to restart outside of VCS control, then yes - freeze the SG to prevent resource fault and failover.
But rather educate application admins to use VCS commands instead.

Hi Mariane,

So if a group service is online and i wish only to restart the aplication resource,the best is to use hares -online <resource> and the service group will not failover.Any operation over any resource done outside vcs i must to freeze the service group?

Why if i start or stop the aplication resource with hares -online or -ofline the service group will not failover?

tnx   

Marianne
To restart the application, you will offline the resource followed by online.

Yes. Freeze the SG when you want to perform any maintenance outside of vcs.

Online or offline of resources will not cause a fault or failover because you are using vcs to do this.

PS:
You may want to consider attending a training course or else read through the VCS Admin Guide to get a better understanding of terminology and concepts.

tnx 

Hi,

If i stop the application with kill comand without to freeze the SG before,then the aplication resource will be in ofline or fault?thus the SG will failover.

If a SG is online and i take out DG resource offline with hares -offline then the rest of the resources in DG are still in online?

tnx