cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vcs upgrade

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi, Please I like to find out how I should upgrade vcs on 2 nodes cluster.I run that on solaris 10. The steps are like: - hastop -local -evacuate ;stop vcs on node a and evacuate group on node b who runs vcs. - init 1, single user in node a - apply patch - reboot node a - hastart ;start vcs on node a - hastop -local -evacuate;stop vcs on node b and evacuate groups on node a - init 1;node b on single user mode -apply patch - reboot node b - hagrp -switch to tnx so much, marius
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With active node being node "a"

If you choose "a" first, then you create an outage straight away when you switch the group to "b" and then after you have upgrade "a", you create a second outage as you switch group back to "a", so you can upgrade "b"

Where as if you upgrade "b" first, then there is no initial outage, and then after you have upgrade "b", you create your first and only outage as you switch to "b", so you can upgrade "a".  Note there should be no need to switch group from "b" to "a" after upgrading "a" as your service groups should be equally capable of running on either node.

Mike

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

g_lee
Level 6

The exact steps depend on the VCS version (which you have not provided) and your configuration.

The VCS Installation Guide will have a section "Upgrading VCS" with procedures and supported upgrade paths - suggest you look at this first then ask about specific points if you are still not clear.

eg: VCS 5.1SP1 (Solaris) Installation Guide

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/5.1sp1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_install/

If you are using a different version of VCS, go to https://sort.symantec.com/documents and select the product guide(s) for your version.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Your procedure will not work as you cannot upgrade all VCS components one node at a time as "had" daemon in VRTSvcs will not communicate over differerent versions.  If you are just upgrading VCS (not SF), then you can just force stop VCS on all nodes (hastop -all force) leaving applications running, unload GAB and LLT and upgrade VCS (including GAB and LLT) on ALL nodes. 

If you have SF, then you can use your procedure to upgrade SF after upgrading VCS - see https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cluster-upgrade-version-5-6 for a similar discussion.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi guys, My procedure could be used to patch and not upgrade the OS or VCS? tnx a lot. marius

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The procedure could be used to patch the O/S and SF, but not VRTSvcs as if you upgrade VRTSvcs on one node first, then t"had" daemon on upgrraded node will no longer be able to communicate with the "had" daemon on the other node running at an older version.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi Mike, you wrote: " If you are just upgrading VCS (not SF), then you can just force stop VCS on all nodes (hastop -all force) leaving applications running, unload GAB and LLT and upgrade VCS (including GAB and LLT) on ALL nodes." Fine,i have only applications running.At this moment if I upgrade VCS on any node,could I perform it safely with applications running?There is no need to go on single user mode? tnx so much, marius

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct - if you run "hastop -all -force", this stops "had" daemon and VCS agents, but does NOT stop applications, so they remain running - you can then stop and LLT (gabconfig -U and lltconfig -U) and unload GAB and LLT from kernel (modinfo to get ids and then use modunload).

Then you can upgrade VCS while applications are running and once VCS upgrade is complete, just start, LLT, GAB and VCS.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi Mike,

Please tell me if my patching procedure is fine on 2 ndes vcs.

- hastop -local -evacuate ;stop vcs on node a and evacuate group on node b who runs vcs.
- init 1, single user in node a
- apply patch
- reboot node a
- hastart ;start vcs on node a
- hastop -local -evacuate;stop vcs on node b and evacuate groups on node a
- init 1;node b on single user mode
-apply patch
- reboot node b
- hagrp -switch to <node_a> ,group who normally runs on node a.

Or maybe:

hastop -all -force and then aply patches on both nodes in single user mode,then reboot the nodes with vcs started.

tnx so much,

marius  

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which of the following are you patching:

1. VCS
  2. SF
  3. O/S

I think you are patching 1 and 3 - but please clarify.

Are you trying to patch with minimum down time, or does down time not matter?

For VCS patching, what version do you have now and what version are you patching to?

For O/S patching - the same question - what version do you have now and what version are you patching to?

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi Mike, I patch as you wrote VCS and OS. I wish to patch with aplications running or at least with minimum downtime. VCS 5.1 to VCS 5.1 rp1 and Solaris 10 to Salaris 11 I wish. tnx so much, marius Anyway please also notify me how are the stepts to patch if down time not matters.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VCS 5.1, nor VCS 5.1 with latest SP and RP support Solaris 11, so if you want to patch to Solaris 11, then you will need to upgrade VCS first to 6.x and then upgrade each node to Solaris 11.

If downtime doesn't matter, then just use vcs installer scripts to upgrade to 6.0 and read VCS install guide for any additional steps.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi Mike, Please in the case with minimum downtime,we also should patch Solaris 10 and VCS,tell me what are the steps with 2 nodes vcs 5.1. tnx so much, marius

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For minimum downtime:

Run "hastop -all -force", this stops "had" daemon and VCS agents, but does NOT stop applications, so they remain running - you can then stop and LLT (gabconfig -U and lltconfig -U) and unload GAB and LLT from kernel (modinfo to get ids and then use modunload).

Then you can upgrade VCS to 6.x while applications are running and once VCS upgrade is complete, just start, LLT, GAB and VCS.

Then patch O/S - choose node which has the least service groups running first (example in an active-passive) cluster - choose the passive node) - suppose this is node a - then:

- hastop -local -evacuate ;stop vcs on node a and evacuate group (if any running) to node b who runs vcs.
- init 1, single user in node a
- apply patch
- reboot node a
- hastart ;start vcs on node a
- hastop -local -evacuate;stop vcs on node b and evacuate groups to node a
- init 1;node b on single user mode
-apply patch
- reboot node b

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi Mike, I wish to check with you the following. you wrote "Then patch O/S - choose node which has the least service groups running first (example in an active-passive) cluster - choose the passive node) - suppose this is node a". I agreed. Please why I should patch the passive node first and not the active node first? tnx so much, marius

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With active node being node "a"

If you choose "a" first, then you create an outage straight away when you switch the group to "b" and then after you have upgrade "a", you create a second outage as you switch group back to "a", so you can upgrade "b"

Where as if you upgrade "b" first, then there is no initial outage, and then after you have upgrade "b", you create your first and only outage as you switch to "b", so you can upgrade "a".  Note there should be no need to switch group from "b" to "a" after upgrading "a" as your service groups should be equally capable of running on either node.

Mike

tanislavm
Level 6
Hi Mike, I wish to check with you a thing. When a resource is added from one vcs node with: haconf -makerw hagrp -add groupw hares -add diskgroup haconf -dump -makero Then all the above commands are executed on all vcs nodes.right?had from every vcs nodes using gab knows that now should to execute the above commands. when a new node join to an vcs then all the information regarding nodes,resource group so on are loaded into memory from the remote vcs nodes.right? tnx so much, marius

sajith_cr
Level 4
Employee

Hi marius,

There is no way you can upgrade a sol 10 host to sol 11.

Oracle Solaris do not provide a way for this. Solaris 11 install has to be a fresh install.