cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vcs

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi,

I like to verify things.The applications who run within vcs,run normally under failover model,so no parallel cluster.

The database instances only could run on parallel cluster,and the applications not.Right?

In parallel cluster we have distributed lock manager who is used only for write,in order to prevent the data corruption.right?

If we have ORACLE RAC on 2 vcs nodes,and one node fails,then the tranzactions uncommited on that node will resume on the remained node,and will be written in data base?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See answers below:

The applications who run within vcs,run normally under failover model - correct, failover is the most common and hence the default

The database instances only could run on parallel cluster,and the applications not - database can run in parallel like Oracle RAC, but applications could run in parallel if the application supports it, but I don't think there are many applications they support running in parallel, but this is to do with the applications, not a restriction in VCS.

In parallel cluster we have distributed lock manager who is used only for write,in order to prevent the data corruption - correct the lock manager prevent the FILESYSTEM becoming corrupt, but the DATA could still be corrupt if your application does not support writing in parallel, so your application must support writing in parallel.

If we have ORACLE RAC on 2 vcs nodes,and one node fails,then the tranzactions uncommited on that node will resume on the remained node,and will be written in data base - this is an Oracle RAC question, not an SFRAC question and I beleive in depends on how you configure RAC.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See answers below:

The applications who run within vcs,run normally under failover model - correct, failover is the most common and hence the default

The database instances only could run on parallel cluster,and the applications not - database can run in parallel like Oracle RAC, but applications could run in parallel if the application supports it, but I don't think there are many applications they support running in parallel, but this is to do with the applications, not a restriction in VCS.

In parallel cluster we have distributed lock manager who is used only for write,in order to prevent the data corruption - correct the lock manager prevent the FILESYSTEM becoming corrupt, but the DATA could still be corrupt if your application does not support writing in parallel, so your application must support writing in parallel.

If we have ORACLE RAC on 2 vcs nodes,and one node fails,then the tranzactions uncommited on that node will resume on the remained node,and will be written in data base - this is an Oracle RAC question, not an SFRAC question and I beleive in depends on how you configure RAC.

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

To add to the last question

If we have ORACLE RAC on 2 vcs nodes,and one node fails,then the tranzactions uncommited on that node will resume on the remained node,and will be written in data base -- If I remember correctly, This would depend on configuration in RAC like Failover Area Networks (FAN) & also configuration of application connectivity to database (JDBC or ODBC), if these things are configured correctly, you can achieve transactions getting committed from other node should the first node fail.

G

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

Thanks for solving the thread however would request to mark the solution for Mike's answer as he has answered most of the queries. You also have choice to split the solution & mark multiple comments as solution if you believe multiple people have answered your question.

G

tanislavm
Level 6

Hi,

Yes you are perfectly right.If there is a possibility now to split the solution please help me on it.Anyway i marked your comment as solution because we collaborated much in the past.Really i did not felt well by doing this,but this was only for this reason.I looked up next how to mark as solution also to Mike,but i could not find a way.Really i feel not good now,but this was the only reason.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

I will write an email to community admin this time to correct it however for next time before marking the solution, you can click on button called "request split solution" where you can mark multiple answers as solution..

Please do this only if you believe your questions were answered in split.

G

tanislavm
Level 6

hi,

i will do this but now i could not see how to reach "request split solution".