cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxvm

linuly
Level 4

hi,

i think is is better on solaris with zfs or ufs root file system not to encapsulate the root disk.this is because when i upgrade the OS then encapsulation will create issues.

when is recommended to encapsulate the root disk?

when is recommended to create install-db?

right?

tnx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

snockles
Level 3

Two unrelated topics.

Let's start with install-db. Generally leave it alone, unless Support ask you to put it in place to allow for a manual startup of vxconfigd with debugging turned on, to try and isolate an issue.

On to encapsulation. Firstly, don't encapsulate just for the sake of doing so. It adds some complexity, particularly to the upgrade process. I'm all for keeping things as simple as possible.

So why do it at all? Because you want to mirror the root disk, and you want to use the same software as you're using on the data disks, ie. VxVM. That's it.

If you are happy using native tools, or have another means of dealing with a failure of the root devices/filesystems, such as as HA solution, and you can cope with any outage that might cause, then don't encapsulate.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

snockles
Level 3

Two unrelated topics.

Let's start with install-db. Generally leave it alone, unless Support ask you to put it in place to allow for a manual startup of vxconfigd with debugging turned on, to try and isolate an issue.

On to encapsulation. Firstly, don't encapsulate just for the sake of doing so. It adds some complexity, particularly to the upgrade process. I'm all for keeping things as simple as possible.

So why do it at all? Because you want to mirror the root disk, and you want to use the same software as you're using on the data disks, ie. VxVM. That's it.

If you are happy using native tools, or have another means of dealing with a failure of the root devices/filesystems, such as as HA solution, and you can cope with any outage that might cause, then don't encapsulate.