cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DI Report Exporting

Evan44
Level 3

Hello,

To give some context to my issue, when HTML and CSV files are sent over SMTP in my company's network, they are stripped due to a company zip file policy.  My question is:  Is there a way to prevent these files from being stripped without changing the company policy, or is there any other workaround?

Also, in regard to these reports, is there a way to add a personal message within an email along with the report?  My temporary workaround has been to add personal notes in the 'Description' field, but I would like to be able to simply add a small message in the email along with the generated report.

Any help with either question would be great.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Evan:

The notification feature in a report can be used to send the report to the desired end user or distribution list. By including the report, which could be large, we use compression to send the report. You can change some of the settings under the SMTP configuration in the application such as 'Mail Server username', 'From e-mail address' to allow for use in filter modification to allow pass-through without filtering on zip files. You could adjust the SMTP filter settings to allow zip files from the SDI  console server (referred to as Management Server) to avoid stripping the file attachment but it is not the only option.

Reports can also be directed to a network share with proper conditions like access permissions and availability. Then the end user can access them there, again with proper access permissions to allow it.

SDIReportlocation.png

A PDF copy can also be used to avoid having a compressed file which would not be filtered by the SMTP policy in use at your site.

I do not see a mechanism in a quick test for a place to build an email body. In the notification email and the email now choice from the action menu on the report I get a message similar to the one below that has the links which would be valid for a user with permissions within the Symantec DataInsight (SDI) console and network access to the MS (Management Server).

sdiReportNotification.jpg

We do have a process to create a Product Action Request (PAR) which is akin to an enhancement request to add functionality desired in future versions of the product that can be accessed via your account representative.

Rod

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Evan:

The notification feature in a report can be used to send the report to the desired end user or distribution list. By including the report, which could be large, we use compression to send the report. You can change some of the settings under the SMTP configuration in the application such as 'Mail Server username', 'From e-mail address' to allow for use in filter modification to allow pass-through without filtering on zip files. You could adjust the SMTP filter settings to allow zip files from the SDI  console server (referred to as Management Server) to avoid stripping the file attachment but it is not the only option.

Reports can also be directed to a network share with proper conditions like access permissions and availability. Then the end user can access them there, again with proper access permissions to allow it.

SDIReportlocation.png

A PDF copy can also be used to avoid having a compressed file which would not be filtered by the SMTP policy in use at your site.

I do not see a mechanism in a quick test for a place to build an email body. In the notification email and the email now choice from the action menu on the report I get a message similar to the one below that has the links which would be valid for a user with permissions within the Symantec DataInsight (SDI) console and network access to the MS (Management Server).

sdiReportNotification.jpg

We do have a process to create a Product Action Request (PAR) which is akin to an enhancement request to add functionality desired in future versions of the product that can be accessed via your account representative.

Rod

Evan44
Level 3

Great, thanks for the quick response Rod.  This is what I needed to know!

Regards,

Evan