cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate a report that shows TAGS

farmch7q
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I can not find a method to create a report that can show either the files and path of folders that include particular TAGs.

I would like to be able to create a report that allows selecting a Filer and then finding all folders or files & path that have, say the UK-Passport Tagged.

Cheers

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Chris, I believe the ask to be how to query tags using a equivalent match versus say all tags.  We know that tags are a result of classification and meeting a specific policy that then 'tagged' the file with a remnant defined in the policy. Multiple tags could be assessed were it true that multiple policies triggered on the object which then assigns a tag to the path..

We know you can verify a tag in the workspace:

To review the tags assigned to file paths:

a. Navigate to the Workspace > Shares view.

b. Select the appropriate share.

c. In the right pane, on the Summary panel, expand the Tags section.
The tags assigned to the files under the shares are listed.

d. Use Workspace filters to search for files with specific tags and perform remediation actions.

image.png

That will provide you a quick and easy mechanism to find the tags you are interested in and double check they exist.

I also take it you are searching the reports that are canned or come with the product but are you aware that we have templates you can customize?

Another option is to run a Data Insight Query Language (DQL) report to review the tags assigned to the files submitted for classification.

As example the OLH (OnLine Help)  does provide detailed steps and explanations in some of the areas you are pursuing; a good starting point when run on the Management Server (MS) itself or a browser with access to the MS and its' name replacing localhost < https://localhost/symhelp/ShowInTab?locale=EN_US&vid=v125236158_v125239294&ProdId=DISYMHELPV_6_1_CG >. This is a good starting point to modify the existing query for your use.

Note: the forums have a lot of detail on DQL, its use and the specific 'views' available. The manual also ships with the installation media as the SDK / Programmer's Guide.

Your goal seems to be filtering data via the DQL report to meet your criteria. If we chose the 2nd template listed the default choice would be:image.png

Template 2: Get PST files with PII information

/*

Template1

Find PST files with PII

The path object gives various attributes of path

path.device.name would give the filer name (web app name when share point will be supported)

path.msu.name would give the share name

absname gives the full path of the file

name will give the path of file inside a share

path.basename will give just the filename

path.extension gives the extension of the file

tags are associated to file paths. 

tags.name will give the name of the tag associated to the file path. There could be multiple tags for a given path.

The path table in output database has path_rowid which is used as a foreign key in tags table.

tags table also has the path_rowid

*/

FROM    path 

GET        path.device.name,path.msu.name,type,absname,name,path.basename,tags.name

IF             type='FILE' and extension='PST' AND tags.name='US-PII'

/* Advance SQL */

create table pathtag as select absname as pathname,tags_name as tag from path,tags where path.path_rowid=tags.path_rowid

Your modification might look something like:

FROM    path 

GET        path.device.name,path.msu.name,absname,name,path.basename,tags.name

IF             device.name='Filer' AND tags.name='UK-Passport'

Feel free to start there and customize to your desires.

I hope that is of use to you.

Rod

farmch7q
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Rod,

I don't see the PST Template.

But where do I put the modification?

FROM    path 

GET        path.device.name,path.msu.name,absname,name,path.basename,tags.name

IF             device.name='Filer' AND tags.name='UK-Passport'

In the DQL Query?

Also, now do i target a specific Filer?

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Chris,

Our templates are version specific. You can safely assume the newer the version the greater the number of templates. As example in version 5.2 we have:

whereas in 6.1 names have changed to:

I probably should have referred you to the PII (Personally Identifiable Information) template as you are likely running the latest.  Sorry about that screenshots come from the lab I am running at the time and I am sure you can understand these change practically daily.

As to how to filter down further to a device or even a share you would need to add an additional to the WHERE clause in your report.

example  for the filer device use
 AND path.device.name='<Filer name>'

and to filter at the share level use
AND path.msu.name IN ('<ShareName>')

These do assume  you have gotten these values with your get statement.

In the statement about we use an IF statement and you need to change 'filer' to the device's name under

IF             device.name='Filer

Rod

NOTE: The bolded values do need to be changed to a valid match.

Sorry, I know this thread is pretty old.  I'm trying to filter the output based on absname where absname = '\\filer\directory\subdirectory" rather than the entire msu.name share.  Is there a good way of doing that?  I don't need the entire share.

Hi

Simplest way would be to add an additional conditional clause into your IF or WHERE statement like this:

AND substri(path.absname, "\\filer\directory\subdirectory") = 1 

The substri function returns true (1) if the second string is contained within the first – the match being case insensitive (there is also a substr command if you are confident on the capitalisation of the absname path).

Cheers
David