Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Memory Error Java Heap Space

BillieBachra
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

I am new to Data Insight and falling at the first hurdle. During the install I get the above message. I have hunted around a little on the internet and all the 'fixes' seem to apply to services already running. In this case I have no Data Insight services running. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Billie:

It is indeed odd that you are getting a Java error whilst installing java. Typically that could be a conflict in the environment or a failed / partial install. I would suggest opening a Veritas Support case for your issue and interactively walking thru your installation.

But like most you may wish to unravel the mystery for yourself. As I have no idea of where you are in the installation process or what is running already in your environment I would suggest starting with the logs. I assume the latest version of Data Insight (6.1), that you are installing the Management server to the default directory and are on a windows platform.

The installation logs are stored in temporary space (%temp%) prior to being copied to the C:\Program Files\DataInsight\log\install folder after install. You are looking for logs such as i4j_log_DataInsight_*.

Check the java.version= setting and the character set. Of course you ran the installation binary as Administrator by right clicking so your user.home=C:\Users\administrator or user.home=C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN. Java for the install is typically set up in the Temp space under %temp%\#\e4j*.tmp*\jre in the user's %appdata%. After you have rectified any issues noted in the logs you should be able to attempt the installation again.

Revert back here with further info if necessary and consider Veritas Support as they are trained to assist you with these issues.

Rod

View solution in original post

BillieBachra
Level 4

Hi Rod - the key was in your reply - run the setup as administrator! I had logged in as the administrator but didn't run it as administrator. It has gone through fine now. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rod_p1
Level 6

Billie:

It is indeed odd that you are getting a Java error whilst installing java. Typically that could be a conflict in the environment or a failed / partial install. I would suggest opening a Veritas Support case for your issue and interactively walking thru your installation.

But like most you may wish to unravel the mystery for yourself. As I have no idea of where you are in the installation process or what is running already in your environment I would suggest starting with the logs. I assume the latest version of Data Insight (6.1), that you are installing the Management server to the default directory and are on a windows platform.

The installation logs are stored in temporary space (%temp%) prior to being copied to the C:\Program Files\DataInsight\log\install folder after install. You are looking for logs such as i4j_log_DataInsight_*.

Check the java.version= setting and the character set. Of course you ran the installation binary as Administrator by right clicking so your user.home=C:\Users\administrator or user.home=C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN. Java for the install is typically set up in the Temp space under %temp%\#\e4j*.tmp*\jre in the user's %appdata%. After you have rectified any issues noted in the logs you should be able to attempt the installation again.

Revert back here with further info if necessary and consider Veritas Support as they are trained to assist you with these issues.

Rod

BillieBachra
Level 4

Hi Rod - the key was in your reply - run the setup as administrator! I had logged in as the administrator but didn't run it as administrator. It has gone through fine now. 

Thank you

Rod_p1
Level 6

Subtitle Hints are the best Billie.

Glad you got it installed.  Let us know if further questions arise.