cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Solution for File Content Search

Bachchan
Level 6

I need some help and if Veritas offers any solution. I am looking for a solution which helps to quickly search content on our main file server. It is taking us minutes to search contents of file in few specific directories & if I have to search entire server I dont know how long it will take.

Does Veritas has any solution in place to speed up the process? what about Data Insight or any other option? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Bachchan I need some clarity in defining your goal. IF your aim is to search contents for some string within a file then DataInsight works differently. We do have classification that will fetch all assigned files, scan their content to match a predefined policy and assign a tag based on a positive result. The admin can then report on the tags and get a list of files with the designated tag.

Otherwise DataInsight uses the file and folder object metadata defined by share location to identify permissions and usage of objects on a historical basis. This too is available via reporting functionality that allows for scheduling, delivery and granularity of scope but does not consider contents. There is the ability to feed it file categorization like sensitivity based on CSV lists or a third party content scanner like Symantec's Data Loss Prevention which is also policy based.

If your goal is to traverse a file system hierarchy real-time and return files based on a string search within contents of the files you should seek out a tool designed for that purpose or try the platform's internal tools like Windows file explorer or Linux grep.

Please provide more clarity if I have failed to cover your use case.

Rod

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rod_p1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Bachchan I need some clarity in defining your goal. IF your aim is to search contents for some string within a file then DataInsight works differently. We do have classification that will fetch all assigned files, scan their content to match a predefined policy and assign a tag based on a positive result. The admin can then report on the tags and get a list of files with the designated tag.

Otherwise DataInsight uses the file and folder object metadata defined by share location to identify permissions and usage of objects on a historical basis. This too is available via reporting functionality that allows for scheduling, delivery and granularity of scope but does not consider contents. There is the ability to feed it file categorization like sensitivity based on CSV lists or a third party content scanner like Symantec's Data Loss Prevention which is also policy based.

If your goal is to traverse a file system hierarchy real-time and return files based on a string search within contents of the files you should seek out a tool designed for that purpose or try the platform's internal tools like Windows file explorer or Linux grep.

Please provide more clarity if I have failed to cover your use case.

Rod