cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few Questions about DLO

MAC_
Level 3

i have just began to use DLO and there is something confused me.

1- Which services have to run on client computer to backup healthy  ? 

2- if i disable to Desktop User data folder, Deduplication will be disable too ? or why i need desktop user data folder ?

3 - under profile properties / outlook PST files / transmission and storage - there is some option "Delta file Trasfer" what is it excatly?

4 - under profile properties / Mail options - there is two option. VSS and incremental which is more suitable if .pst file is online everytimne ?

5 - there are same option in profile setting and in general option which one is stronger then other ? 

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pretty much yeah. Another thing, Incremental uses MAPI call so when this method is enabled, it is highly possible, you may experience slowness when an user is trying to use .pst at the same time

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. The services needed to run aon a workstation are installed the minute you install the agent. Should be a DLO Agent service that shows up under services.msc.

2. If you disable the DUDF, then dedupe is also disabled.

3. So, every time a file changes, it only backs up those changes. This would keep your backups a lot smaller and more efficient.

4.If you want to backup the PST files while open then use the Incremental option. This is validated in the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23942

5. No idea what you mean by this...what setting?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

1) The Windows Task Scheduler service along with the DLO Change Journal service.

2) DeDupe occurs only when the file is completely new, meaning the first revision of the file will be deduplicated. Once this file changes, the backup mode switches from DeDupe to Delta. And Delta mode requires the DUDF (Desktop User Data Folder) as the delta changes are first computed on the DUDF and then copied over to the NUDF (Network User Data Folder).

3) Delta File Transfer is a compression technique which transfers only changed portions of a file from the DUDF to the NUDF.

4) Use VSS method for backing up .pst files. - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202413

@CraigV - the kb which you posted isn't applicable (it applies to BE-DLO) and VSS method wasn't existent then.

5) General option is like a global setting which is applied to all profiles. However, what ever you select in each profile individually takes effect.

MAC_
Level 3

thanks for usefull answer...

and about 4. question;

Tool / options  and Profile / properties..

i see that in this two place there are similar setting..

so which one is kill other ?

MAC_
Level 3

as i understood..correct me if i am worng;

Backup for PST;

VSS backup = deduplication, and check PST corrupt or not and after first full new backup VSS uses delta to copy data in NUDF.

incremental =  no deduplication and compress but backup everymail which comes in moment.

VJware
Level 6

Pretty much yeah. Another thing, Incremental uses MAPI call so when this method is enabled, it is highly possible, you may experience slowness when an user is trying to use .pst at the same time

MAC_
Level 3

thank you for useful answer .

Regards.